OneNote Tags Summary doesn't show all tags

Alan E 141 Reputation points
2022-02-10T23:23:29.377+00:00

I use the tags within OneNote to manage my todo list. I will create tags in various pages, typically "To Do priority 1, 2, 3" etc. I have it grouped by tag name, and the show only unchecked items selection is checked. This is because I check the item after I complete it.

After a few days of OneNote use, I have found that there are tags in pages that are not showing up in the tags summary. This has been an issue for many months. I searched for answers online, and the only workaround I have found is to is to close the notebook with the problem (I typically have two notebooks open in OneNote, work and personal), close OneNote, open OneNote, and go open the offending notebook. When I do that it works great again but then after a few days new tags don't appear.

This workaround is pretty annoying, so I am looking to find out if there is a more permanent solution to the issue.

I am using Version 2201 (Build 14827.20158 Click-to-Run)

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For business | Windows

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ben 40 Reputation points
    2024-02-26T16:37:54.6366667+00:00

    This has been an issue ever since I found the software. It is a local cache issue. The only way I have found to fix it (temporarily) is to right click on the notebook and select "close this notebook". Then go to file, open and open it again. The tags should all be found now. But, this only fixes it for a while and must be repeated

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
  2. Ceasar Chen_MSFT 4,491 Reputation points
    2022-02-11T09:10:46.863+00:00

    Hi, @Alan E
    There are three possible solutions to your problem:

    1. Repair Office. How to repair Office can refer to this document:Repair an Office application
    2. Update Office to the latest version( Version 2201 (Build 14827.20192)), Here is the detailed update method: Install Office updates
    3. Open OneNote in Safe Mode. Find the shortcut icon for OneNote. Double-click the OneNote shortcut while holding down the Ctrl key. A window will appear asking if you want to start the application in Safe Mode, click Yes.

    If the response is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and upvote it.
    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more