Windows 11 activation after hardware replacement – existing Retail digital license cannot be transferred

Lars Haßler 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T13:02:51.2333333+00:00

Hello,

I recently built a completely new PC and am trying to activate Windows 11 Home using the existing Windows digital license from my previous PC.

My previous PC was running Windows 10 Home and was activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. The activation page explicitly stated:

“Windows was activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account.”

I have now replaced the main hardware and installed Windows 11 Home on the new PC.

Previous PC / existing license

On the old PC, I verified the license using slmgr /dlv. The relevant information is:

  • Edition: Windows(R), Core Edition
  • Description: Windows(R) Operating System, RETAIL channel
  • Product Key Channel: Retail
  • License Status: Licensed
  • Partial Product Key: 8HVX7

slmgr /xpr also reports that the old PC is permanently activated.

There is no OEM/BIOS-embedded product key on the old PC. I checked this using PowerShell:

(Get-CimInstance -ClassName SoftwareLicensingService).OA3OriginalProductKey

and it returned no key.

New PC

The new PC has:

  • Windows 11 Home
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B650E-E WIFI motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D
  • New SSD
  • New motherboard and other new hardware

Windows was installed normally from official Microsoft installation media.

The new installation is not activated.

Windows Settings reports:

“Windows has reported that no product key was found on your device. Error code: 0xC004F213”

The Activation Troubleshooter and the option “I changed hardware on this device recently” do not work either. The troubleshooter says that there are no devices linked to my Microsoft account that can be used to reactivate the current device.

My Microsoft account does, however, show both the old PC and the new PC in the device list.

Additional activation information

On the new PC, slmgr /dlv reports:

  • Edition: Windows(R), Core Edition
  • Description: Windows(R) Operating System, RETAIL channel
  • Product Key Channel: Retail
  • License Status: Notification
  • Notification Reason: 0xC004F034
  • Partial Product Key: 8HVX7

Running slmgr /ato results in:

0x803F7001

I also tried the Microsoft Product Activation Portal using the Installation ID generated with:

slmgr.vbs /dti

However, after entering the Installation ID into the official Microsoft activation portal, Microsoft reports:

“We're sorry, your installation ID was unable to be validated.”

I have tried this more than once with the same result.

Microsoft Support issue

I have also tried to contact Microsoft Support through the normal support channels.

Unfortunately, the available support routes repeatedly redirect me to the online support system, where I encounter:

AADSTS500200 – User account is a personal account. Personal accounts are not supported for this application.

Therefore I currently have no working way to reach Microsoft Support directly regarding this activation issue.

What I need help with

I would like to determine whether my existing Retail Windows digital license from the old PC can be transferred/reactivated on the new PC.

If the license is transferable, I would appreciate help from a Microsoft moderator or activation specialist in getting the license correctly associated with the new hardware.

I am not looking for a new Windows license if my existing license is transferable. I also do not want to deactivate, delete, or otherwise modify the old installation until I know whether the existing license can be transferred successfully.

Could someone from Microsoft please advise:

  1. Whether the existing Retail digital license is eligible for transfer to the new motherboard/PC.
  2. Why the Microsoft account does not offer the old device as an eligible device for reactivation.
  3. Whether the activation state can be manually corrected or escalated to the Windows Activation team.
  4. What information or proof of ownership I can provide if Microsoft needs to verify the original license.

I have already tried the standard activation troubleshooter, slmgr /ato, the Microsoft Product Activation Portal, and the available Microsoft Support channels, so I would particularly appreciate an escalation to someone who can actually inspect the activation/license status.

Thank you for your help.There is no OEM/BIOS-embedded product key on the old PC. I checked this using PowerShell:

(Get-CimInstance -ClassName SoftwareLicensingService).OA3OriginalProductKey

and it returned no key.

New PC

The new PC has:

  • Windows 11 Home
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B650E-E WIFI motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D
  • New SSD
  • New motherboard and other new hardware

Windows was installed normally from official Microsoft installation media.

The new installation is not activated.

Windows Settings reports:

“Windows has reported that no product key was found on your device. Error code: 0xC004F213”

The Activation Troubleshooter and the option “I changed hardware on this device recently” do not work either. The troubleshooter says that there are no devices linked to my Microsoft account that can be used to reactivate the current device.

My Microsoft account does, however, show both the old PC and the new PC in the device list.

Additional activation information

On the new PC, slmgr /dlv reports:

  • Edition: Windows(R), Core Edition
  • Description: Windows(R) Operating System, RETAIL channel
  • Product Key Channel: Retail
  • License Status: Notification
  • Notification Reason: 0xC004F034
  • Partial Product Key: 8HVX7

Running slmgr /ato results in:

0x803F7001

I also tried the Microsoft Product Activation Portal using the Installation ID generated with:

slmgr.vbs /dti

However, after entering the Installation ID into the official Microsoft activation portal, Microsoft reports:

“We're sorry, your installation ID was unable to be validated.”

I have tried this more than once with the same result.

Microsoft Support issue

I have also tried to contact Microsoft Support through the normal support channels.

Unfortunately, the available support routes repeatedly redirect me to the online support system, where I encounter:

AADSTS500200 – User account is a personal account. Personal accounts are not supported for this application.

Therefore I currently have no working way to reach Microsoft Support directly regarding this activation issue.

What I need help with

I would like to determine whether my existing Retail Windows digital license from the old PC can be transferred/reactivated on the new PC.

If the license is transferable, I would appreciate help from a Microsoft moderator or activation specialist in getting the license correctly associated with the new hardware.

I am not looking for a new Windows license if my existing license is transferable. I also do not want to deactivate, delete, or otherwise modify the old installation until I know whether the existing license can be transferred successfully.

Could someone from Microsoft please advise:

  1. Whether the existing Retail digital license is eligible for transfer to the new motherboard/PC.
  2. Why the Microsoft account does not offer the old device as an eligible device for reactivation.
  3. Whether the activation state can be manually corrected or escalated to the Windows Activation team.
  4. What information or proof of ownership I can provide if Microsoft needs to verify the original license.

I have already tried the standard activation troubleshooter, slmgr /ato, the Microsoft Product Activation Portal, and the available Microsoft Support channels, so I would particularly appreciate an escalation to someone who can actually inspect the activation/license status.

Thank you for your help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. DaveM121 937.9K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-08T13:36:43.1366667+00:00

    I understand your Windows licence is indicated as a retail licence on the old PC, what is the basis of that retail licence, was that pre-installed on the PC by a PC builder or did you purchase a full retail Windows licence from Microsoft or from a 3rd party retailer?

    Or is your Windows licence based on a free upgrade from a previous Windows 7 or 8 licence?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Horace Wiggins 535 Reputation points
    2026-10-08T13:40:38.32+00:00

    Did you link it to your Microsoft account? Look at the link below. Windows 10 Home is not the same as Windows 11 Home. You also say you built a completely new computer.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/activation/activate-windowshttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/activation/activate-windows

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.