Activation Error after replacing faulty motherboard

Jody Lucas de Smidt 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T18:48:42.8733333+00:00

After replacing a faulty motherboard, i cannot activate windows. it says my product key is invalid...

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ivan B 125K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-07T23:41:49.2466667+00:00

    Hi,

    I understand, and I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. In this case, I believe the version you would use is Windows 10 RTM Professional Cloud Retail. Have you already contacted Microsoft chat? Did they say the key couldn't be used?

    The reason is that you wouldn't be able to use an OEM key on different hardware, whereas a Retail key can be used.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Jody Lucas de Smidt 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-07T22:49:48.7+00:00

    I had purchased 2x Win Pro 11 64Bit Eng Intl 1pk DSP OEI DVD Version 23H2 from Makro. I had installed them on PC's and both motherboards went faulty over time. I have since replaced the one motherboard and cloned the SSD onto an NVME ( After installing a new motherboard ) both the original SSD and NVME won't allow activation of Windows ( it was originally activated and working on the SSD before the motherboard went faulty and replaced ) it says the product key is invalid ( both ). Microsoft support tells me the key i was using is for Win 10 RTM Professional OEM and the other is for Win 10 RTM Professional Cloud Retail on their system. I have attempted a clean install of both Win 11 and 10 Pro ( they both accept the product key during installation, just the same activation error is experienced ( it's a problem with the product key on the activation server )... I'm guessing my only answer is to buy another license after I had already bought two and have not had much use thereof, if I want to continue running Windows. I'm seriously thinking about installing a different OS, I'm not prepared to buy a new license for Windows every time I have to change a motherboard or hard drive...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Ivan B 125K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-07T19:27:00.3466667+00:00

    Hi,

    If it is a purchased license—originally for Windows 10 or 11—can you try activating it after a hardware change?

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/activation/reactivating-windows-after-a-hardware-change

    Or

    Is it a physical 25-digit license?

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.