Word is nonresponsive.

Nelly Wambui 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T15:23:12.45+00:00

I've received an onscreen message that word has run into an error that is preventing it from working correctly. Word will need to be closed as a result. and give me the option of repairing it now but when I click on it, the message disappears from the screen.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For education | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Kai-L 20,020 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-07T15:33:34.9133333+00:00

    Dear Nelly,

    The Repair Now button inside the error popup may not resolve the issue. Please try running an Online Repair from Windows settings instead.

    1. Close all Office apps. 
    2. Go to Windows Settings > Apps > Installed apps. 
    3. Find Microsoft 365 or Microsoft Office > Click the three dots > Modify. 
    4. Choose Online Repair > Run it. 
    5. This can take 15–30 minutes. Restart your PC afterward. 

    For reference: Repair an Office application | Microsoft Support

    I hope this helps. If the issue continues, feel free to reply in the comments and I will be glad to continue assisting you. 


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Yes" and kindly upvote it.

    Note: Please follow the steps in the forum documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.  

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.