My other microsoft account has been hacked

Alex E 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T12:04:41.18+00:00

My Microsoft account was compromised after I was tricked into providing a Microsoft verification code during a fraudulent Minecraft verification. My account details were subsequently changed and I lost access. I previously received a request from Microsoft Account Safety asking for additional ownership information, but the case was closed before I could provide it. I need to open a new case and provide the requested ownership information.

I would love if a real customer support helped me. How do I contact someone?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

3 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-10-07T12:04:56.05+00:00

    Use the Microsoft account sign-in helper first. It can identify the issue and either provide self-help steps or offer the option to talk to an agent.

    If the account was compromised, follow this path:

    1. Go to the Microsoft account sign-in helper.
    2. Enter the affected email address or phone number.
    3. Follow the prompts for a hacked or compromised account.
    4. If support is offered, choose the option to talk to an agent.

    If direct support is needed, use Contact Microsoft Support:

    1. Open Contact Microsoft Support.
    2. Enter the problem, such as Account hacked or compromised.
    3. Select Get Help.
    4. If more help is needed, select Contact Support to be routed to the best support option.

    Important limits:

    • Support agents are not allowed to send password reset links.
    • Support agents are not allowed to send verification codes.
    • Support agents are not allowed to access or change account details directly.

    If verification codes are not arriving, select I don't have any of these during sign-in and follow the prompts to update or add security info.

    If the account is locked and the Let's prove you're human option does not appear, use the aka.ms/ link shown in the sign-in window and submit the reinstatement form. After submission, a Microsoft Online Safety support agent reviews the request and contacts by email. Do not submit multiple requests, because that can slow the response.

    For a compromised account, also do these steps before changing the password on any recovered device:

    1. Run a full antivirus scan.
    2. Then change or reset the password.
    3. Review account settings such as connected accounts, forwarding, and automatic replies.

    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Hornblower409 16,350 Reputation points
    2026-10-08T08:20:05.28+00:00

    @Alex E said

    I previously received a request from Microsoft Account Safety asking for additional ownership information, but the case was closed before I could provide it.

    As far as I know, once a case has has been closed, it can't be reopened. Start a new account recovery request through the Microsoft Account Recovery process or the Sign-in Helper.

    If you still have the old case number or emails from the Account Safety Team, keep them and provide them during any new escalation. If the account alias was changed by the attacker and the original address is no longer recognized, mention that in the recovery request and provide as much ownership information as possible.

    If it was an Xbox account, you might have better luck using the Xbox Account Recovery Form
    https://support.xbox.com/en-US/forms/recover-your-microsoft-account

    I would love if a real customer support helped me. How do I contact someone?

    I'll give you the process, but it's not going to help. Microsoft Account Security is an automated process. Microsoft Support Agents can not open a closed case, unlock an account, reset your password, or change any Security Settings no matter what documentation you can present.

    • Open a browser to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/home/contact
    • Tell us your problem: {Whatever}
    • [Get Help] {Scroll down to the bottom of the page} [Sign in to Contact Support]
    • Sign in with any Microsoft account
    • Products and services: "Other Products"
    • Category: "Manage Account Security"
    • [Confirm]
    • Choose a support option -> "Chat with a support agent in your web browser"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.