Left mouse click keeps extending selection of desired field to encompass four fields in Excel whenever attempting to enter data into a field.

Christine Pittman 0 Reputation points
2026-10-06T15:27:34.3666667+00:00

Seems to be just ONE excel sheet this occurs in (some setting I don't know how to access/search?), so it is NOT a global mouse setting (though I went ahead and checked the mouse settings AND performed a shift F8 and still no resolution in this one excel sheet.)

Bottom line, how do I stop the left mouse clicker from extending a selection multiple rows when I just want a single field opened in the sheet? (BTW, right clicker is ok/allows this, but I use the left, so it is awkward/greatly slows me down having to use the right one.)

Thanks!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | Other | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Manoel Barros 22,055 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-06T16:09:18.24+00:00

    Hi!

    What exactly are you using in that spreadsheet that triggers the problem? Tables, complex formulas, VBA, macros, or conditional formatting?

    To identify the cause of the issue specific to that spreadsheet, you need to look for elements present in it—but not in the others—that could be causing this.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.