How to get a transcript of the lecture I'm watching on Canvas

Steven Eliasek 0 Reputation points
2026-10-06T09:12:45.6166667+00:00

I need a written transcript of a lecture I'm watching for one of my classes. I'm getting nowhere with the Immersive Reader option, which I don't know much about. Any ideas? What am I missing?

Thanks all -

And Peace to you and yours.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for education | Meetings and calls | Record meetings
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Aetherin 2,665 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-06T09:42:26.8+00:00

    Hi @Steven Eliasek,

    Since you posted this under Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for education, I'm assuming the lecture you're watching in Canvas is a Teams meeting recording that is accessed through your course.

    First, Immersive Reader doesn't create a transcript from lecture audio. It only works with text that already exists, such as Teams messages and assignments, so it won't generate a transcript from a recorded lecture.

    If there's an option to open the recording in a browser (or in Teams/Stream), try opening it outside of Canvas. If it opens in the Microsoft 365 video player, select Transcript in the upper-right corner. If a transcript is available, you can read it next to the video and select any block of text to jump to that point in the recording.

    Alternatively, if the original meeting is in your Teams calendar or meeting chat, open it and select Recap. A transcript appears there if the meeting was recorded or transcribed and you have permission to view it.

    If you don't see a Transcript or CC option, the recording may not have been transcribed, or transcription may be turned off by your school's IT admin or the meeting organizer. In that case, please ask your instructor or school IT administrator whether a transcript or caption file is available.

    For your reference:

    I hope this helps clarify the available options. If you have any updates, additional questions, or concerns, please feel free to reply. I'll be happy to continue working through this with you.

    Wishing you all the best with your studies, and peace to you and yours as well.


    If the answer is helpful, please kindly click "Yes" button below. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".    

    Note: Please follow the steps in the forum documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.  

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.