Windows 8 Surface won't boot up.

William Cramer 0 Reputation points
2026-10-06T07:50:49.08+00:00

It gets stuck on a black screen with a wheel of spinning dots on the bottom. I tried force-rebooting several times until the troubleshooting option showed. I clicked on Troubleshoot, then advanced options, then startup repair. It troubleshot on its own for a minute, then said that it couldn't repair my PC. I went back into the troubleshoot page and tried System Restore and it failed, saying that no restore points were created. This is an older Surface, but I have some old work files that I would like to view. What are my next options?

Surface | Other

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Clary-N 16,660 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-07T08:22:48.4233333+00:00

    Hi William Cramer,

    Thanks for trying those commands and letting me know what happened. Not having a recovery drive already prepared does not necessarily mean there are no options left, as one can be created using another Windows PC.

    However, since recovering the old work files is the priority, I would avoid selecting Reset, Recover from a drive or reinstalling Windows for now, as those steps can remove personal files.

    As this is a community forum, I can offer general recovery guidance, but I’m unable to examine the Surface or help recover the files directly. At this point, the safer option may be to take it to a reputable local computer repair shop that offers data-recovery services. Let them know that recovering the files is the priority, and ask them not to reset, reinstall, repartition, or erase the device without your approval. Please keep in mind that recovery cannot be guaranteed, particularly if the storage is damaged or encrypted. If BitLocker is enabled, you may need to provide the BitLocker recovery key before the files can be accessed.

    Once the files have been recovered or if you decide that they are no longer needed, you can use another Windows PC to download the recovery image for the specific Surface model and create a USB recovery drive to reinstall Windows.

    One other thing to keep in mind is that Windows 8.1 reached end of support on January 10, 2023, so it no longer receives security updates or technical support.

    I hope you’re able to recover the files safely before moving ahead with the reinstall.

    Kind regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.