MS Word - The margins set for the templates are being ignored

bhs67 96 Reputation points
2026-10-05T22:22:12.4566667+00:00

I've been using Word 365 "Windows 11 Home" templates for many years - 0.5 inch on top / bottom and 1 inch on both sides. Now the 0.5 inch on top has been set to 0 inches.

I disabled Copilot to no avail. How do I get back to normal?

BTW I've been using MS Word for decades. This problem is not my mistake.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-06T22:35:14.2966667+00:00

    Assuming that this issue affects documents created from the Normal.dotm template (blank documents), create a new document and then via the Page Setup tab, set the margins as desired and click on the Set As Default button at the bottom left of the dialog.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.