Problem with account error

Madelynn M 0 Reputation points
2026-10-05T21:59:04.53+00:00

I was working on a report in school today and to open another one it was loading very slowly. I decided to shut down the app on my MacBook in hopes it would run more smoothly. When I got it back up and running I was no longer able to edit any of my documents. On one of my accounts (my school account) it says I have to contact my “admin” about it, yet, I have never had to do this before. When I use my main, personal account, it says I have to reactivate the subscription. So I click on activate. I try to sign up for the personal plan (and do the first month free trial) but then a message pops up that says: “Problem with Account: sorry, an error is preventing us from proceeding with the current account. Sign in with a different Microsoft account and try again”.

Please help me asap, as I am a college student trying to do papers and homework.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For education | MacOS
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Lin v 1,545 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-05T22:42:16.3633333+00:00

    Hi Madelynn,

    I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue, especially when you're trying to complete assignments and coursework.

    To help me better understand the situation and provide the most appropriate guidance, kindly confirm the following:

    • Can you still sign in to office.com with your school account?
    • When signed in with your school account, are you able to create or edit documents in Office for the web?

    In the meantime, to rule out a local Office activation or credential issue on your Mac, you may try the following:

    1/ Open any Office app such as Word> Sign Out from the Word app> Quit all Office app.

    2/ Go to the Finder> Applications> Utilities> Keychain Access> Remove the Identities related to Microsoft Office.

    3/ Use License Removal tool to remove the Office license files on the Mac; reference: How to remove Office license files on a Mac

    4/ Restart your Mac> Re-open any Office app such as Word> Sign in again.

    If the issue persists, since your school account is typically managed by your college or university, I would recommend contacting your school's IT department or IT administrator.

    When Microsoft 365 specifically prompts you to contact your administrator, it is often related to an account or licensing issue. Because these settings are managed by your organization, they typically cannot be corrected from the user side alone.

    As this is a public community forum, community members cannot view or verify account and licensing details associated with your school. Your IT administrator would therefore be in the best position to investigate further and determine what is causing the issue.

    For the personal Microsoft account, you may need to contact Microsoft Support for Personal accounts here: Contact Microsoft Support. I hope this information is helpful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.