Editing a document myself prior to asking MS W and Copilot

Tom Kelly 0 Reputation points
2026-10-05T20:45:46.9666667+00:00

I want to be able to cut and paste and highlight places in my documents be fore asking for help. The system doesn't allow me to do that. Can you help me/teach me to do that? otherwise I guess I need to use apple pages. Pls Help!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jeronimo Fuerte 46,730 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-05T22:46:10+00:00

    I’m sorry you’re having trouble editing your document. To better understand what is happening, could you please clarify a few details? When you try to cut, paste, or highlight text, what exactly happens?

    Are the Cut/Copy/Paste or highlighting options greyed out? Can you select text normally with your mouse or trackpad?

    Does this happen with every Word document, or only with one particular document? Is the document stored locally on your Mac, in OneDrive, or somewhere else?

    Do you see any message such as Read Only, View Only, Protected, or a notification asking you to activate Office? Please also open Word > About Microsoft Word and provide the exact Word version and license type shown there.

    If possible, please share a screenshot showing what happens when you try to edit the document, while hiding any personal or confidential information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.