Adding a personal account to Outlook fails after using the Authenticator App

Scott Lange 0 Reputation points
2026-10-05T20:35:49.96+00:00

I have a Microsoft 365 Family subscription. I am trying to add my personal Outlook.com account, ******@outlook.com, to Outlook Desktop on Windows. The account was previously installed. Browser login works. Password works. Authenticator works. Outlook forces Windows Hello/passkey setup and fails. Error Code 2148073526, Tag 7q6ca.

I am adding [email protected] to Outlook Desktop on Windows.

The account was previously configured in Outlook and was removed.

I can successfully sign into the account in a browser.

My password works.

Microsoft Authenticator works.

 Both automatic and manual Outlook account setup force Windows Hello/passkey enrollment and fail.

 Error Code: 2148073526

Tag: 7q6ca

Correlation ID: 0ed6e437-3dca-4027-b8c7-6927f89c046e

Timestamp: 2026-10-05T20:09:43Z

 The mailbox is not added to Outlook.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator
0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.