Trying to install Lockdown Browser.. Keep getting error 2503 message.

Alexander Cast 0 Reputation points
2026-10-05T17:01:59.5566667+00:00

I'm trying to install Respondus LockDown Browser for school, but I keep getting Windows Installer Error 2503: Called RunScript when not marked in progress. I need help fixing the Windows installation permissions so I can install the program. Ive tried going through chatgpt and trying to fix this issue, but cant figure it out. May need to use Quick Assist so you can see my screen and help me fix the installation problem. I need this lockdown browser ASAP to take me quizzes for class.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ramesh Srinivasan 88,460 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-05T18:05:15.8866667+00:00

    Hi Alexander,

    Please open an Command Prompt (admin) and start the installer manually, using msiexec.exe:

    For example, if LockDownBrowser-2-1-6-02-364713981.msi is the setup file name and it's located in the C:\ drive's root, run this command:

    msiexec.exe /i "C:\LockDownBrowser-2-1-6-02-364713981.msi"
    

    If that doesn't help, check the permissions for your temporary folder. To do so, open Command Prompt admin and run these commands:

    icacls c:\windows\installer
    
    icacls "%temp%
    
    icacls c:\windows\temp
    

    Copy the output and post it here. You can also post a screenshot of the output window showing the output of all three commands.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.