Azure Recovery Services Vault | Stuck Backup Jobs After Server Rename and MARS Agent Registration Error 34507

Ezequiel Ferreira 0 Reputation points
2026-10-05T12:34:48.84+00:00

Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing an issue with Azure Recovery Services Vault and the Microsoft Azure Recovery Services (MARS) Agent, and I'd appreciate any guidance from the community. Originally, I had a server named BRCPSSRVDC01 registered with a Recovery Services Vault. The MARS Agent was successfully backing up specific folders located on two different network drives, and all backup jobs were completing without any issues. Recently, we performed an infrastructure change where

  • The server was renamed from BRCPSSRVDC01 to BRCPSHV01.
  • One of the drives/folders that was part of the backup configuration was removed from the server.

After these changes, I noticed that backup jobs related to the deleted folder are still present in the Backup Jobs section of the Recovery Services Vault under the old server name BRCPSSRVDC01. These jobs have been stuck in a running/pending state for more than 17 days and do not appear to complete or terminate.

To resolve the issue, I have already completed the following steps:

  • Uninstalled the MARS Agent from the server.
  • Reinstalled the MARS Agent.
  • Downloaded the latest MARS Agent installation package from the Recovery Services Vault.
  • Generated new Vault Credentials.
  • Recreated the entire on-premises file and folder backup configuration within the Recovery Services Vault.
  • Attempted to register the server again as BRCPSHV01.

However, during the registration process, I receive the following error:

Failed to set the encryption key for secure backups. The encryption passphrase provided is incorrect. Please provide the same passphrase that you used previously to register this server to the vault. ID: 34507

I'd appreciate any insights on how to resolve these issues, completely unregister or remove the old server object from the vault, and stop the backup jobs associated with the old server that are still running.

Thank you.

Azure Backup
Azure Backup

An Azure backup service that provides built-in management at scale.

0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.