how to fix 'Licence storage. Unable to connect to the licensing helper

Pauline Stafford 0 Reputation points
2026-10-05T12:13:37.54+00:00

I can no longer edit or create Word documents on my Mac Laptop. When I open one I get 'Activate Microsoft 365 to create and edit. When I try to activate i get a box with 'Licence storage. unable to connect to the licensing helper'. When I close that i get 'No license found' - though I have a license. I have a one time purchase of Microsoft Word. It was last updated on 1 October 2026.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Stefan Blom 353.8K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-05T12:24:30.66+00:00

    I can no longer edit or create Word documents on my Mac Laptop. When I open one I get 'Activate Microsoft 365 to create and edit. When I try to activate i get a box with 'Licence storage. unable to connect to the licensing helper'. When I close that i get 'No license found' - though I have a license. I have a one time purchase of Microsoft Word. It was last updated on 1 October 2026.

    Which version of macOS do you have? Which particular Office license?

    Starting mid-July 2026, you need at least macOS12 and you also need an Office product which licenses version 16.83 or later. See https://www.brandwares.com/bestpractices/2023/03/most-recent-office-you-can-run-best-practices/ .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. AI answer

    2026-10-05T12:13:57.64+00:00

    For a one-time purchase of Word on Mac showing “Licence storage. Unable to connect to the licensing helper” and then “No license found”, use this order:

    1. Check that Word and macOS are fully updated
      • Microsoft’s resolved guidance for Unknown Error 0x0 / License not found is to run macOS 12 or later and update Office.
      • Open Finder > Applications > Microsoft AutoUpdate.
      • Install all available updates, then open Word again and test.
      • If Word was installed from the App Store, update it from App Store > Updates instead.
    2. Remove the current Office license files and reactivate
      • Quit all Office apps.
      • Download and run the license removal tool.
      • Important: have the correct Microsoft account details ready before doing this, because activation will need to be completed again.
      • After the tool finishes, open Word and sign in with the account associated with the Office license.
      • Restart the Mac after activation succeeds.
    3. If Word still says “No license found,” verify the correct account
      • Sign out and sign in again with the Microsoft account associated with the purchase.
      • If needed, choose “Sign in with another account.”
      • To confirm the account has the license, sign in at https://account.microsoft.com/services and check whether the Office license appears after selecting Install Microsoft 365 or Office.
    4. If the issue started after activation prompts and Word stays in read-only mode, clear Keychain license entries
      • Run the License Removal Tool again if needed.
      • Open Spotlight Search > Keychain Access.
      • Delete these items:
        • Microsoft Office Identities Cache 3
        • Microsoft Office Identities Settings 3
        • Microsoft Office Ticket Cache
      • This requires local admin privileges.
      • Restart the Mac and open Word to reactivate.
    5. If this is a one-time purchase and activation still fails, check the PriviligedHelperTools folder permissions
      • Open Finder > Go > Computer > Macintosh HD > Library.
      • Find PriviligedHelperTools.
      • If there is a red stop icon next to it, the folder is not accessible.
      • Right-click it > Get info.
      • In Sharing and Permission, unlock with the admin password.
      • Change Everyone to Read and Write.
      • If the folder is accessible but empty, uninstall and reinstall Office for Mac, then activate again.
    6. If the Mac uses a network account, switch to a local user account
      • Office for Mac can fail to write credentials to Keychain for network accounts because the keychain is read-only.
      • Sign out of the network account and sign in with a local user account, then activate again.
      • If no local account exists: Apple menu > System Preferences > Users & Groups > unlock > + > create a new local user.

    If the problem is specifically the licensing helper, the most relevant self-service fixes are:

    • update Office through Microsoft AutoUpdate
    • run the license removal tool
    • check PriviligedHelperTools access for one-time purchase installs
    • use a local Mac account instead of a network account

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.