How to reset MFA?

Andrej Milicevic 0 Reputation points
2026-10-05T07:34:47.83+00:00

Hello,

Recently I've changed my phone and forgot to transfer the Authenticator app on it. Now I cannot access my azure account because it need approval from Authenticator app that I don't have access to. I tried logging in with different method, but Authenticator is the only method available. I use Azure for some home project so I'm the only global admin.. I tried accessing that mfa reset page but it also needs to verify my credentials via Authenticator app.. Is there any way to fix this?

I can log in to some pages, but not to my "company" (<my_email>.onmicrosoft.com).

Thanks.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. David Wong Zhen Fung 0 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff
    2026-10-05T14:00:28.98+00:00

    Hi @Andrej Milicevic ,

    Since you are the only Global Administrator, your best option is to contact Microsoft Support https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/support/ and request an account recovery review. Open a support ticket through Microsoft's support channels or call Microsoft Support directly. Explain that you have lost access to your Microsoft Authenticator app and that there are no other administrators such as GAs in the tenant who can reset your MFA methods.

    Be prepared to provide information that can help prove ownership of the tenant, such as subscription details, billing information, tenant name (<tenant>.onmicrosoft.com), and any verified domains associated with the tenant.

    If you still have an active session in any Microsoft 365, Azure, or Entra portal, use it immediately to add a new MFA method before signing out. Otherwise, Microsoft Support is the only supported recovery path.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.