locating a full list of my Onenote notebooks.

Blair Cowper-Smith 0 Reputation points
2026-10-04T21:13:10.8166667+00:00

I have about 50 notebooks and since switching over to Windows 11 I have had trouble finding all of my notebooks. I've looked at a number of articles and so forth I had not been able to find an easy way (when I am in a hurry to do some research) to find a full list of my notebooks so I can start my work in the right place given background research I will have done.

I imagine finding a full list has to be easy but I've simply never been able to find a way to easily do that post moving to Windows 11. I would very much appreciate some help

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-10-04T21:13:23.9866667+00:00

    The quickest way to get a usable full list of notebooks in OneNote on Windows is to open the notebook list and make sure the correct account is loaded.

    1. On any page, click the Show Notebooks button.
    2. Review the notebooks shown in the navigation pane.
    3. If a notebook is missing, click More Notebooks and select the notebook or notebooks to re-open.
    4. If the notebook still does not appear, click Add Account and sign in with the account where that notebook is stored.

    For finding a specific notebook or note fast when working in a hurry:

    1. Press Ctrl+F or click the magnifying glass near the top of the Page list.
    2. Enter a word or phrase.
    3. Set the search scope to All Notebooks if needed.
    4. Select a result to jump directly to the page.

    If notebooks are stored in OneDrive and still do not appear, check whether the correct account is signed in and whether the notebooks are open on that account. OneNote can search across all currently open notebooks, but notebooks that are closed will not appear in search until reopened.

    If shared notebooks are involved, manually sync them:

    1. Click Show Notebooks.
    2. Right-click the notebook name.
    3. Select Sync > Sync This Notebook or Sync All Notebooks.

    If search still does not help, look directly in OneDrive for notebook files, then open the notebook and choose Open in OneNote.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.