Windows 11 Pro for Workstations deactivated.

iggy 0 Reputation points
2026-10-04T15:21:50.2066667+00:00

I don't use this laptop much and it's been a month or so since I've been on it.

June 17th of this year I upgraded from 11 Home to 11 Pro for Workstations through the official Microsoft process in Windows.

Everything went fine.

Today I booted it up and I have the Activate Windows watermark now on my screen.

When I troubleshoot the activation all it will tell me is "We found a Windows 11 Home digital license for this device running Windows 11 Pro for Workstations. To activate using this digital license, you need to install Windows 11 Home."

Also in the activation window (Windows settings), next to the troubleshoot button it says "We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key. If you think you do have a valid license or key, select Troubleshoot below. Error code: 0xC004C003"

I'm pretty certain I have no product key. It should be linked to my account. A digital license. All I got was an email with a receipt for payment from Microsoft. The order shows up in my Microsoft account order history. I attached a capture of that particular order as it shows in my order history.

This is the same email that I am signed into on this laptop right now. It is my only Microsoft account. I have full access to the account, One Drive and all so I know that I am properly logged into the account with the license. The upgrade was running fine up until now.

I did some searching but looked like reaching out somewhere like here would be my best bet.

The only thing I really tried that looked promising was changing my product key to a generic Windows 11 Pro for Workstations key. To try to reinitiate some kind of handshake. I tried NRG8B-VKK3Q-CXVCJ-9G2XF-6Q84J.

It returns with "Windows can't activate with this product key. Go to settings for more information. (0x8007007b)"

That's all I got. Please and thank you for any help. Much appreciated.

purchase

error

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation
0 comments No comments

4 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. iggy 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-04T18:58:52.4833333+00:00

    Looks like you deleted might of your comment, but from the email I received it looks like you mentioned how it refers to the registration like it has to do with some sort of organization as if it was a business license or the such. Needless to say to clear any confusion this was a completely vanilla copy of Pro for Workstation bought on a vanilla Windows 11 Home install. And I purchased it through the upgrade option in Windows just for me so it's a completely private registration.

    Something is obvious wonk about messages like this one... but it may have a lot to do with the low number of people who buy Workstation for personal use as myself vs the majority who are organizations.

    blah

    This is the message I get now after MS support ran some cmd commands and did the clean boot. And the not activated watermark is gone for the time being..

    Not really looking for help at the moment though, I could possibly fix it myself but just going to play it safe and see what MS does tomorrow.

    For a bit of fun though...when I click this

    lol

    It just opens up a Bing search in Edge for "Link Microsoft account to digital license windows"

    ¯*(ツ)*/¯

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. iggy 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-04T17:41:00.7366667+00:00

    Working with Microsoft support now. It must be tied to a BIOS updated I ran last time I was using this laptop. It's the only one I've ran on it. Kinda forgot because it was so long ago and I haven't used it since then.

    When I go to look at my devices on Microsoft's site it show this laptop twice. Bios must of made it look like a new clone system, maintaining it's old 11 Home activation information.device

    Support tried performing an in-place upgrade (sounds like it's basically a Windows repair, or imagine a Home to Pro upgrade but it's literally Pro to Pro) after a clean boot with a Windows 11 ISO but it threw this error. So he escalated it and said I'de be getting a call back around this time tomorrow. Just posting here so if anyone else runs into these issues this could help with the troubleshooting.

    upgrade I'll try to post an update if anything else of interest happens. And thank you for the response Neil, but I showed you the popup I got when I ran the troubleshooter and there was no "I changed hardware" option. Just a message and a close button. Aside from the hyperlink. Either way I took your advice and got ahold of support.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. iggy 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-04T17:37:33.1666667+00:00

    Working with Microsoft support now. It must be tied to a BIOS updated I ran last time I was using this laptop. It's the only one I've ran on it. Kinda forgot because it was so long ago and I haven't used it since then.

    When I go to look at my devices on Microsoft's site it show this laptop twice. Bios must of made it look like a new clone system, maintaining it's old 11 Home activation information.device

    Support tried performing an in-place upgrade (sounds like it's basically a Windows repair, or imagine a Home to Pro upgrade but it's literally Pro to Pro) after a clean boot with a Windows 11 ISO but it threw this error. So he escalated it and said I'de be getting a call back around this time tomorrow. Just posting here so if anyone else runs into these issues this could help with the troubleshooting.

    upgrade I'll try to post an update if anything else of interest happens.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. Neil D 34,350 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-04T16:04:21.6833333+00:00

    You can only use a generic product key to upgrade and not to activate.

    Just as a thought try the activation troubleshooter again and this time select I changed hardware. (even though you haven't)

    If it does not show the licence you purchased then you will need help from Microsoft support directly.

    Use the Get Help app in windows and search the phrase billing then select Contact Support ant the bottom of the window. There are a couple more filters to select then you should see Chat with a support agent in your web browser.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.