Subject: Microsoft Excel showing “Unlicensed Product”

Anakha suresh 0 Reputation points
2026-10-04T14:18:30.0366667+00:00

Hello Microsoft Support, I have been using Microsoft Excel on my HP Pavilion laptop since I purchased it. I am signed in with the same Microsoft account that I have always used, but Excel is now showing “View Only (Unlicensed)” and I cannot edit or save files.

I would like to know whether my laptop originally had an Office/Microsoft 365 licence included and whether it can be restored/reactivated.

Laptop model: HP Pavilion Laptop 15-eh3xxx Product number: [Removed PII]

Please help me check the licence associated with my device/account.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ian-T 13,280 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-04T23:18:26.1966667+00:00

    Please note that our forum is a public platform, and we will modify your question to hide your personal information in the description. Kindly ensure that you hide any personal or organizational information the next time you post an error or other details to protect personal data. 


    Hi @Anakha suresh

    The “View Only (Unlicensed)” message means Excel cannot currently verify an active Office license. However, forum moderators cannot access your account, purchase history, or laptop records to check the license directly.

    Please sign in to Microsoft Services & subscriptions using the Microsoft account originally used when the laptop was set up. If an Office purchase or active Microsoft 365 subscription is listed, open Excel, sign out of any other accounts, and sign back in with that account.

    If nothing is listed, the preinstalled Office installation may have been a trial rather than a permanent license. Check the original HP invoice or order details, or contact HP with the product number to confirm whether the laptop was sold with a full Office license. If Office was included as a digital purchase, signing in with the account used during its initial activation should add it to that account.

    Thank you for your understanding and time. Have a good day

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.