The modules are used by Store apps. Please post a screenshot of the error message.
I keep getting VCRUNTIME140_APP.dll and VCRUNTIME140_1_APP.dll errors
So, as the title says, I am having a hell of a time trying to fix this error (also error 403, but thats another post)
I have done everything from installing the dll's, going into appwiz (or whatever it's called) deleting EVERYTHING relating to the 140.dll's and then redownloading them, I have repaired, uninstalled from the folder application and reinstalled from there. I'm at my wits end.
Done anyone have ANY sort of idea as to what I can do to fix this at home?
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures
1 answer
Sort by: Newest
-
Ramesh • 182.1K Reputation points • Volunteer Moderator2026-10-04T14:13:29.3766667+00:00 -
Brennan Couser • 0 Reputation points
2026-10-04T14:19:38.39+00:00 There is also a vairent that appears without the 1_ as well. Also, because I just double checked. Depending on what game I play, it will shut down a decent chunk of apps such as discord, operagx, and logitec along with the game, so I need to boot it up. Once I close out of the game fully, everything comes back including spotify (which was not open initially) as well as trying to open the apps again (operagx gets a 2nd window, so I have to close one out)
-
Brennan Couser • 0 Reputation points
2026-10-04T14:40:54.2066667+00:00 So I talked with someone who finally gave me an answer.
When I deleted all of the VCRUNTIME140 applications, I was only told to download the most recent ones, not a thing pointed towards needing the older ones along with the newer ones. SO, problem is fixed.
-
Ramesh • 182.1K Reputation points • Volunteer Moderator2026-10-04T14:42:10.5866667+00:00 Ok. I'm glad to hear that. Thanks for the update.
-
Brennan Couser • 0 Reputation points
2026-10-04T15:56:48.48+00:00 disregard, this (profanity removed) is STILL BROKEN
-
Ramesh • 182.1K Reputation points • Volunteer Moderator2026-10-04T16:10:30.1333333+00:00 From PowerShell admin, run this command:
get-appxpackage -allusers | Out-File -FilePath (join-path ([environment]::GetFolderPath('Desktop'))\packages.txt)It outputs the results to
packages.txton your desktop.Attach that file in your next reply.
-
-
Ramesh • 182.1K Reputation points • Volunteer Moderator2026-10-04T17:18:46.3666667+00:00 The dependencies are installed correctly.
From Command Prompt admin, run:
cd /d "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" dir VCRUNTIME140*.dll /s /aCopy the output to a text file and upload it.
(And, if possible, list out the steps to reproduce the error.)
-
Brennan Couser • 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T10:36:51.12+00:00 Volume Serial Number is 0AAD-9E3A
Directory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.6365217CE6EB4_102.2409.21002.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftSecurityApp
10/18/2024 09:10 PM 119,888 vcruntime140.dll
10/18/2024 09:10 PM 49,640 vcruntime140_1.dll
10/18/2024 09:10 PM 38,504 vcruntime140_threads.dll
3 File(s) 208,032 bytesDirectory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller_1.29.380.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
10/28/2025 09:38 PM 13,856 vcruntime140_1_app.dll
10/28/2025 09:38 PM 17,968 vcruntime140_app.dll
2 File(s) 31,824 bytesDirectory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.GamingApp_2609.1001.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
09/20/2026 08:12 AM 13,632 vcruntime140_1_app.dll
09/20/2026 08:12 AM 17,728 vcruntime140_app.dll
2 File(s) 31,360 bytesDirectory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.GamingServices_38.117.27001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\gamingservicestcui
10/30/2025 03:50 PM 124,544 vcruntime140_cor3.dll
1 File(s) 124,544 bytesDirectory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.GamingServices_38.117.27001.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\GamingServicesUI
05/22/2024 01:03 PM 109,608 vcruntime140.dll
05/22/2024 01:03 PM 39,464 vcruntime140_1.dll
06/24/2026 03:42 PM 18,824 vcruntime140_1_app.dll
06/24/2026 03:42 PM 22,920 vcruntime140_app.dll
4 File(s) 190,816 bytesDirectory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub_19.2609.52011.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
09/26/2026 07:38 PM 116,024 vcruntime140.dll
09/26/2026 07:38 PM 41,272 vcruntime140_1.dll
09/26/2026 07:38 PM 29,984 vcruntime140_threads.dll
3 File(s) 187,280 bytesDirectory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.OutlookForWindows_1.2025.1121.100_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
12/05/2025 12:42 AM 134,824 vcruntime140.dll
12/05/2025 12:42 AM 60,064 vcruntime140_1.dll
2 File(s) 194,888 bytesDirectory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.PowerAutomateDesktop_11.2609.183.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\dotnet
09/22/2026 01:33 AM 134,592 vcruntime140_cor3.dll
1 File(s) 134,592 bytesDirectory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop_14.0.30704.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
12/03/2024 08:37 PM 97,144 vcruntime140.dll
12/03/2024 08:37 PM 37,264 vcruntime140_1.dll
2 File(s) 134,408 bytesDirectory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.vclibs.140.00.uwpdesktop_14.0.33728.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
05/22/2024 01:03 PM 109,608 vcruntime140.dll
05/22/2024 01:03 PM 39,464 vcruntime140_1.dll
2 File(s) 149,072 bytesDirectory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.vclibs.140.00.uwpdesktop_14.0.33728.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
05/22/2024 01:03 PM 80,832 vcruntime140.dll
1 File(s) 80,832 bytesDirectory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.30704.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
12/03/2024 08:37 PM 36,696 vcruntime140_1_app.dll
12/03/2024 08:37 PM 97,632 vcruntime140_app.dll
2 File(s) 134,328 bytesDirectory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.vclibs.140.00_14.0.33519.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
02/05/2024 07:10 PM 37,776 vcruntime140_1_app.dll
02/05/2024 07:10 PM 109,136 vcruntime140_app.dll
2 File(s) 146,912 bytesForgive me, work has been a drag and I just got some time.
Directory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.vclibs.140.00_14.0.33519.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
02/05/2024 07:10 PM 80,584 vcruntime140_app.dll
1 File(s) 80,584 bytesDirectory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Whiteboard_56.20201.588.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftWhiteboard\WebView2RT
03/12/2026 08:54 PM 130,704 vcruntime140.dll
03/12/2026 08:54 PM 60,064 vcruntime140_1.dll
2 File(s) 190,768 bytesDirectory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.YourPhone_1.26072.257.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
10/30/2025 03:50 PM 124,544 vcruntime140_cor3.dll
1 File(s) 124,544 bytesDirectory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\MSTeams_24295.605.3225.8804_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
12/03/2024 09:04 PM 119,424 vcruntime140.dll
12/03/2024 09:04 PM 49,256 vcruntime140_1.dll
12/03/2024 09:04 PM 23,624 vcruntime140_1_app.dll
12/03/2024 09:04 PM 27,776 vcruntime140_app.dll
4 File(s) 220,080 bytes Total Files Listed: 35 File(s) 2,364,864 bytes 0 Dir(s) 551,043,682,304 bytes free -
Ramesh • 182.1K Reputation points • Volunteer Moderator2026-10-07T10:49:58.81+00:00 The DLL exists in the Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.30704.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe folder.
When exactly does the error occur? When launching a specific app?
-
Brennan Couser • 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T21:10:04.1166667+00:00 A specifically after closing down any game. Before opening any game things like my browser are shut down.
After when I shut everything down, I’m hit with the error and then a flood of systems being turned on, like my browser, discord, my keyboard and Spotify,
-
Ramesh • 182.1K Reputation points • Volunteer Moderator2026-10-07T21:12:07.9833333+00:00 This might help.
Fix issues by reinstalling the current version of Windows | Microsoft Support
(Another option will be to run a Procmon trace to narrow down the issue, but the procedure can be slightly tedious.)
-
Brennan Couser • 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T21:40:58.6+00:00 Was hoping I could avoid having to do that, but here we are. I’ll let you know how that goes when I get a chance.
-
Brennan Couser • 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T11:01:27.8166667+00:00 Unfortunately that did absolutely nothing. Im gonna try the PROCMON that you suggested, I dont have any better ideas other than factory reset
-
Ramesh • 182.1K Reputation points • Volunteer Moderator2026-10-08T11:06:35.54+00:00 - Download Process Monitor from Microsoft.
- Download
config.pmcfrom this link. - Run Process Monitor.
- If the Filtering Options dialog appears, click Reset and click OK.
- From the File menu in Process Monitor, click Import configuration... and import
config.pmc - Click on the capture button on the tool bar if it's not already enabled.
- Process Monitor will trace the events.
- Now, reproduce the vcruntime error.
- When the vcruntime error occurs, switch to Process Monitor and stop tracing.
- Save the Process Monitor entries to a log file (.PML) with "All events" selected.
- Zip the PML file and upload it to OneDrive or GoFile.io and share the link here.
-
Ramesh • 182.1K Reputation points • Volunteer Moderator2026-10-08T11:47:42.6133333+00:00 Also, don't run the trace for more than 2 minutes. Otherwise, the log size will become huge.
If you can't reproduce the issue within 2 minutes, clear the trace (Ctrl + X) and try to reproduce the issue again.
-
Brennan Couser • 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T11:59:12.32+00:00 Another piece of unfortunate news.
Apparently the games I had errors with refused to have VCRUNTIME140 issue labels appear until after the PROCMON was turned off, then everything would hit.
I did somehow manage to get it, maybe not the full process but it's there. However I am unable to compress and convert ANY of the files small enough to abide by microsoft's 3MB limit..
-
Ramesh • 182.1K Reputation points • Volunteer Moderator2026-10-08T12:00:48.25+00:00 - The error should be reproduced during the trace. Otherwise, the log is useless.
- You can't upload the log here. As mentioned earlier, share it on some other site.
Sign in to comment -