How can I verify that it was WIndows Defender that asked me to allow sending a file about Brave update?

Anonym0us 0 Reputation points
2026-10-04T07:17:00.91+00:00

I am using Windows 11 Home on my pc. Yesterday, some time after updating Brave browser, Windows Defender asked me to allow a file to be sent. The name of the file had something like the words 'brave' and 'update' so I allowed it. Now I think this was the first time I had this event and I am curious if it was authentic and I want to know if I can verify the authenticity or can get an update about the file that was probably been sent to be checked. I also use a laptop with Windows 11 Pro installed and also updated that Brave browser at the same and it didn't asked me to allow for a file to be sent.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Ian-T 13,200 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-04T23:35:34.2633333+00:00

    Hi @Anonym0us

    You can check whether the prompt came from Microsoft Defender by opening Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Protection history. Expand entries from the time of the Brave update and check whether the file name, path, and action match what you saw. Administrator permission may be required, and Protection History retains events for only two weeks.

    Microsoft Defender may request permission to send a file sample when cloud protection cannot determine whether it is safe. Under the default setting, safe samples are submitted automatically, but Windows asks permission when a file might contain personal information.

    You can also open Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Manage settings and review Cloud-delivered protection and Automatic sample submission. A different prompt on the two PCs is not necessarily suspicious because Defender may have needed additional analysis only on one device.

    Windows does not normally provide a user-facing report showing the final cloud-analysis result for every submitted sample. If Protection History shows no threat and a current scan is clean, no additional action is normally required. You may run a Quick scan for reassurance.

    See Protection History in the Windows Security App for more details: Protection History in the Windows Security App.

    I hope this helps, please feel free to let me know if you need any further help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.