I created an email alias address for my account by accident and cannot transfer to my wife's account

Hank 0 Reputation points
2026-10-04T02:51:54.36+00:00

I created an email alias in outlook.com (e.g. ******@outlook.com) but I accidentally created it on my personal account when it was supposed to be used for my wife's account. I immediately deleted the alias after creating it inside my account, but now I cannot create it for my wife's outlook.com account now because an error messages says the account is already taken. Since I deleted the alias from my account right away and never used it, how do I get this alias name re-enabled and transferred into my wife's account? Or is this alias now lost and unable to be used forever?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Email
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. EmilyS726 270.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-04T03:29:26.5166667+00:00

    Hello

    Once that outlook.com alias is created for your Microsoft account, it can ONLY be added back to your own account, not to someone else's.

    Microsoft doesn't allow recycling deleted addresses; hence, if you try to create it as a new account or as a new alias on another account, it will tell you it already exists.

    You will need to give your wife a different alias in this case. Sorry.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. AI answer

    2026-10-04T02:52:07.3+00:00

    If the deleted alias was a Microsoft-domain address such as @outlook.com, @hotmail.com, @live.com, or @msn.com, it cannot be transferred to another Microsoft account after removal. Once removed, that alias is permanently deleted and cannot be associated with any Microsoft account again.

    That means the alias created on the wrong account is effectively lost for reuse on the wife's account.

    If the goal is to add an alias to the wife's Microsoft account, the supported options are:

    • create a new Outlook.com email address as an alias on that account, or
    • add a non-Microsoft email address that is not already associated with another Microsoft account.

    Microsoft also does not support merging two Microsoft accounts or moving an existing Outlook.com/Hotmail address from one Microsoft account to another.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.