Hi,
When you bought the key, was it for the Windows 7, 8/8.1, or 10 edition at the time?
Was the purchase for a digital or physical license?
Thanks.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
After having some software and driver issues, I decided to reset my custom built PC. Windows was activated before I reset the machine and no hardware was changed. I had bought windows many years ago for my last custom pc, and I had transferred that copy to my last system. I did not expect there to be any issue with activation as my understanding was that the license gets tied to the motherboard. I did try to search my email for the original activation code or license, but could not find it, and my account purchase history only goes back 7 years, but this was longer ago.
Hi,
When you bought the key, was it for the Windows 7, 8/8.1, or 10 edition at the time?
Was the purchase for a digital or physical license?
Thanks.
AI answer
If no hardware was changed, a reset or reinstall normally should not require a new license. Windows activation can fail after a reset if no valid product key is found on the device, or if the installed edition does not match the license.
Recommended steps:
Relevant activation causes documented for this scenario include:
A major hardware change such as a motherboard replacement is the case that commonly breaks activation by losing the hardware match. That does not match this scenario because no hardware was changed.