Why remove independent Microsoft Authenticator backups?

Illia Ryndych 0 Reputation points
2026-10-03T21:22:20.65+00:00

I only used Microsoft Authenticator because its backup was stored separately on OneDrive. That gave me an important layer of redundancy: if I ever lost access to my Google account, I could still recover my one-time passwords through my Microsoft account.

That is exactly why I intentionally used two separate authenticator apps — Google Authenticator and Microsoft Authenticator. The whole point was to keep my 2FA backups independent from each other.

Now that Microsoft Authenticator is moving its backup to Google Drive, I honestly don't see the point of using it anymore. If both apps rely on the same Google account for backups, there is no longer any meaningful redundancy. If I lose access to my Google account, I potentially lose access to the backups from both apps at once.

You have effectively removed the main reason I chose Microsoft Authenticator in the first place. Please reconsider this decision and provide an independent Microsoft-based backup option again.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator
0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.