Excel Desktop chart selection issue – 2 data points do not show selection handles

Moustafa Cherif 0 Reputation points
2026-10-03T16:15:15.3766667+00:00

I am experiencing a chart selection issue in Excel Desktop.

I have a column chart with a Target series containing 18 data points. When I select the Target series in Excel Desktop, 2 data points do not display the selection handles, even though they are part of the same Target series.

The same workbook was tested in Excel for the web, and all 18 Target data points are selected correctly there.

I also tested Excel Desktop in Safe Mode (excel /safe), and the same 2 data points still do not display the selection handles.

I recreated the Target series and also changed the series overlap, but the issue remained.

To confirm that this is not specific to my original workbook or its data, I created a completely new workbook with a simple chart containing only 1 Target series and 18 data points. The same issue occurs: 1 data point does not display the selection handle when the Target series is selected.

This appears to be an Excel Desktop chart selection/rendering issue.

Please investigate whether this is a known Excel Desktop bug and advise on a solution or workaround.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.