Unable to Access Azure for Students After Changing Account from External to Internal (AADSTS16000 / Error 401)

Momna khan 20 Reputation points
2026-10-03T15:55:48.5+00:00

Hello Microsoft Support,

I am a university student and I previously had access to my Azure for Students account using my university email.

I changed my user account from External to Internal in Microsoft Entra. After this change, I started facing access problems and can no longer access the required Azure/Entra settings.

When I try to sign in or open the relevant pages, I receive messages such as:

  • “You don't have access”

Error code: 401 – Insufficient privileges to complete the operation

I previously also encountered AADSTS16000.

I also received AADSTS50058 during a sign-in attempt.

I have already tried signing in through an Incognito window, using different browsers, signing out and signing in again, and checking Directories + subscriptions. The issue is still not resolved.

I cannot change the settings myself because I do not have access to the required Entra administration pages.

Could you please help me with the following?

Check the current authentication and B2B status of my university account.

Verify whether changing the account from External to Internal caused or contributed to the sign-in/access issue.

Advise whether the account can be safely restored to its previous B2B external state, or what administrator action is required.

Check whether my existing Azure for Students subscription is still associated with my account and identify the correct tenant/directory.

Help restore access without deleting my existing account, subscription, or resources.

I am unable to resolve this through the portal because I do not have the required permissions.

Please let me know what information is needed for a secure account review.

Thank you.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Entra ID
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Nathan Roberts (SN) 13,701 Reputation points Student Ambassador Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-03T17:14:49.7433333+00:00

    Hey there, Momna khan

    When you say you get an AADSTS16000 error when signing in with your university account, this suggests the account you're using is not recognised in the tenant you're attempting to access.

    When your university account was a guest user, authentication was handled through your university's Entra ID as a federated sign-in method. Your account would also have had a User Principal Name (UPN) which uses your university email address with the external (#EXT#) value followed by your tenant name on an .onmicrosoft.com domain.

    User's image

    Once you convert your account from an external account to an internal member, the federated sign-in method is removed, leaving just the UPN as the sign-in method for that account. As a result, signing in with your university account may now be directing you to your university's tenant rather than the Azure for Students tenant that contains your subscription.

    The good news is the subscription will still be tied to the account and tenant. However, you will need to sign into your account with the account's UPN rather then the email address and password for your university account.

    Please can you try signing in using the UPN of the member account in your Azure for Students tenant and see if you can access the Microsoft Entra ID blade here: https://portal.azure.com/#blade/Microsoft_AAD_IAM/ActiveDirectoryMenuBlade

    Hope this helps,
    Nathan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.