Cannot open Microsoft 365 Word for Windows

June Tavares 0 Reputation points
2026-10-03T15:45:49.0566667+00:00

I have Microsoft 365. Everything, including my automatic renewal is electronic. The only thing I use in the package is Word. It is an active, personal account and I am the only one who uses my computer. There is no administrator. I am reaching out to Microsoft, my vendor, for help. I have windows 10 on my computer.

This is the problem. I cannot open Word. This means I cannot access any of my word documents. Not the ones in Document file or the ones save to my desktop. This is the message I get when I click on the Word icon or any document saved anywhere on my computer. Please respond to my email.

DRD.EXE - Bad Image

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft

Office\root\Office16\AppVisvSubsystems32.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0xc000012f.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-10-03T15:46:01.6933333+00:00

    For the AppVisvSubsystems32.dll error, the supported fix is to repair Microsoft 365 first, then reinstall Office if repair does not fix it.

    1. Restart the PC, then try Word again.
    2. Run an Office repair:
      • Open Control Panel.
      • Select Uninstall a program.
      • Select Microsoft Office or Microsoft 365.
      • Select Change.
      • Choose Quick Repair and complete it.
      • Try opening Word.
    3. If Word still shows the same error, repeat the repair and choose Online Repair instead.
      • This requires an active internet connection.
      • This repairs the full Office suite, not just Word.
    4. If Word still does not open after Online Repair, uninstall and reinstall Microsoft 365.

    On Windows 10, the repair path can also be:

    • Right-click Start > Apps and Features.
    • Select Microsoft 365 or Office > Modify.
    • For Click-to-run, select Online Repair > Repair.
    • For MSI-based installs, select Repair > Continue.

    If Office opens at all after repair, also check for updates:

    • Open an Office app.
    • Go to File > Account.
    • Under Product Information, select Update Options > Update Now.

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.