Compromised Account Recovery

N AUD 0 Reputation points
2026-10-03T09:11:37.71+00:00

Hello, I wanted to ask a question about a compromised account. A few days ago I had been receiving texts from my friend that all my accounts were compromised, luckily I regained control of most of them. My only problem now is Microsoft, as trying to login to my account told me that "We couldn't find an account with that username. Try another" or "We don't recognize that email address..." I tried using the Microsoft Account Sign-in Helper and used my email address, however it told me that it could not find that username/account. I also used the recover function, but it is telling me to sign in to a Microsoft account with an email address that I am not familiar with. I had so many things attached to that account, my xbox, my minecraft, and etc.. Please help me, I am desperate.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Nathan Roberts (SN) 13,701 Reputation points Student Ambassador Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-03T09:32:32.65+00:00

    Hey there, N AUD

    From what you have posted, it sounds as though the hackers have compromised your account and changed your account alias. Attackers do this because they know it makes it harder for you to get your account back. This is due to the account recovery form returning an error informing you that the Microsoft account no longer exists.

    On top of this, they will replace your security information with theirs, making it harder for you to recovery the account.

    As you use this account for Xbox, please can you complete the Xbox account recovery form here: https://aka.ms/recovermyaccount

    Please include as much information as possible, including your device ID either for your Xbox console. To help find your device ID, please refer to this article here: https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/help/hardware-network/warranty-service/find-xbox-one-kinect-serial-number

    Please note that the Xbox/Microsoft account team will contact you via email. Please respond to their email to continue talking to the team. It is worth noting that sometimes account recovery can be unsuccessful, and may lead to Microsoft suspending the account to protect you. This depends on what the attacker has done with your account and if they can recover the Microsoft/Xbox account.

    Hope this information helps,
    Nathan

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.