Outlook app in MacOS system: Unable to remove "there are unread emails" dot from the control bar on the left

Jingzhou NaCA 0 Reputation points
2026-10-03T06:25:29.7833333+00:00

I permanently deleted some trash emails. At the time of deletion, those emails were marked as unread, and I directly clicked the delete button without open/read those emails. After that, the blue dot notation for "there are unread emails" is constantly showing up (see picture at the end). I checked my inbox, trash, and other folders (all folders I could find). There are no unread emails.

I think the problem may be related to the "unread trash email" I deleted, and the system thinks that one is still unread. However, I cannot find that email. I am not sure if this is the case.

Is there a way that I can fix this issue? I do want this feature, but only for "real" unread emails.

Thank you in advance for your help.

unread mark constantly showing up

Outlook | MacOS | New Outlook for Mac | For home
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. DYARI BARHAM 37,681 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-03T07:46:22.8533333+00:00

    Hi,

    Click the person-shaped profile with the blue dot > Check the accounts linked to that profile > Sign in to the same account using Outlook web > Check for unread messages, including Junk Email and Deleted Items. If none appear online, the blue dot may be stuck in Outlook for Mac.

    Quit Outlook completely using Command + Q > Reopen it and check whether the dot disappears.

    If it remains, sign in to the affected account through your email provider’s website and check for unread messages there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.