Building custom solutions that extend, automate, and integrate Microsoft 365 apps.
Dear James Meehan,
Good day! Welcome to Microsoft Q&A forum!
As a user myself, I find this topic quite interesting and thought-provoking. You can refer to the AI's answer; additionally, I have summarized a few key points below.
Microsoft has not documented Microsoft 365 Copilot APIs as providing a Zero Data Retention (ZDR) model.
Enterprise Data Protection (EDP) and Zero Data Retention are different concepts:
- Enterprise Data Protection (EDP) ensures prompts, responses, and related interaction data are protected under Microsoft 365 enterprise privacy, security, compliance, and contractual commitments.
- Prompts and responses are not used to train foundation models.
- However, Microsoft documentation indicates that Copilot interaction data may be subject to auditing, eDiscovery, retention, and compliance management through Microsoft 365 and Microsoft Purview.
In this situation, it should be viewed as operating within the Microsoft 365 compliance and governance boundary, protected by EDP, rather than as a Zero Data Retention service, unless Microsoft publishes explicit ZDR guarantees for those APIs in future documentation.
These are some insights I gathered from Microsoft articles; however, for more precise information, I suggest contacting Microsoft directly to clarify the matter. You might consider opening a Unified Support ticket to seek confirmation from the development team.
Thank you for your time and have a good day.