My system is locked due to BitLocker. I have my Microsoft ID and password, but when I try to get the BitLocker recovery key, Microsoft is not sending the OTP to my mobile number. What should I do to receive the OTP and get the recovery key?

Gowtham Selvaraj 0 Reputation points
2026-10-03T04:30:17.9866667+00:00

My system is locked due to BitLocker. I have my Microsoft ID and password, but when I try to get the BitLocker recovery key, Microsoft is not sending the OTP to my mobile number. What should I do to receive the OTP and get the recovery key?

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Nathan Roberts (SN) 13,701 Reputation points Student Ambassador Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-03T10:30:37.0166667+00:00

    Hey there, Gowtham Selvaraj

    Please try opening the Microsoft Authenticator app on your phone. Once the app is open and signed in, swipe down on the main page to refresh it. This can help the app receive any pending authentication requests.

    If a sign-in approval request appears, follow the prompts in the Authenticator app. If Microsoft is using number matching, enter the number shown on the sign-in screen into the Authenticator prompt and approve the request. If this does not work, please check your internet connection. A weak or unstable connection may prevent authentication requests from reaching your device. If possible, switch between WIFI and your mobile data and try again.

    Alternatively, if this doesn't work, please click onto "I can't use my Microsoft Authenticator app right now"

    User's image

    This will provide you with other verification options available to you on your account. Please click onto "Use a verification code"

    User's image

    This will allow you to use the TOPT code that is generated inside the Authenticator app found when you click onto your email account in the Authenticator app.

    Using this code should allow you to sign into your account so you can access your Bit Locker recovery key.

    Hope this helps,
    Nathan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.