Problem mapping crawled properties to managed properties in Search Schema

Andries den Haan 0 Reputation points
2026-10-02T08:57:56.4533333+00:00

Since a couple of days, I have not been able to map specific crawled properties to managed properties like RefinableString80. I can reproduce the issue consistently. I open the Search Schema (either on tenant or site collection level), search for the Refinable String and click Add a mapping. The mapping dialog appears with the error message: Sorry, something went wrong and An unexpected error has occurred. That's all. So, no pointers on a probable cause.

ManagedPropertyMapping

When attempting to map via the crawled property, the dialog does open and I can select the Refinable String. But, when I click the Save-button, the error message (in red): The settings could not be saved because of an internal error: Setting Does Not Exist: Setting does not exist (at the top of the page).

User's image

I have attempted everything, from removing all other mappings to analyzing the crawl log (no errors). Also, when clicking on the Categories-link next to Managed Properties and Crawled Properties, an error is shown similar like in the dialog. Does anybody recognize this? And how to resolve it?

Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Andries den Haan 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-03T14:36:30.2866667+00:00

    Update: it seems that there was a site that might have been causing the issues. I deleted the site and the search schema dialogs started working again. Still waiting for some crawled properties to re-appear, but this seems to be getting better now.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Helen Luu 3,300 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-02T11:55:58.7533333+00:00

    Hello @Andries den Haan

    Thank you for sharing the details.

    I tested this behavior in my test environment and was able to reproduce the issue when attempting to add a mapping from a managed property. Based on the error messages shown in your screenshots, the issue appears to be related to an internal server-side problem within the Search Schema service.

    However, when I tested mapping a crawled property to a managed property, I was unable to reproduce the same behavior. As a result, could you please try mapping a different crawled property, preferably one that starts with ows_?

    If the issue persists across multiple crawled properties, I would highly recommend contacting Microsoft Support directly. Since the error appears to be occurring on the backend, Microsoft Support can investigate whether there is an active service issue or escalate the case to the appropriate engineering team for further analysis and remediation.

    To create a support ticket, a Microsoft 365 administrator can follow the steps in this article: Get support - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Learn

    If you are not a Microsoft 365 administrator, please contact your administrator and ask them to create the support request on your behalf.

    I hope this help. If you have any further concern, please feel free to let me know.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.