Junk email being auto flagged

Thais Justo 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T22:01:21.86+00:00

Hi,

I have junk mail getting correctly moved to my junk email folder, however it's getting automatically flagged so is showing up in my flagged folder which is frustrating as when I'm trying to find an email and haven't yet deleted my junk, there's loads of random junk emails showing there above the emails I've actually flagged.

I have no rules set up around flagging and do not need to block the senders as they are already correctly going to junk and are also from differing emails every time. This is the case on the web version and on my phone.

Why are these emails being automatically flagged and how can I stop them?

Thanks, Thais

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Email
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Hendrix-V 19,470 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-02T06:10:18.11+00:00

    Hi Thais Justo,

    Since the messages are already being filtered into your Junk Email folder, they would not normally need to be flagged as well. Because the behavior appears on both Outlook on the web and your phone, it may be related to a mailbox setting or a synchronization issue rather than a device-specific configuration.

    You can try these quick checks:

    1. In Outlook on the web, select one of the flagged junk messages and remove the flag manually.
    2. Check whether newly received junk messages continue to be flagged afterward.
    3. Review any connected email apps or third-party mail clients that have access to your mailbox, as some applications can apply flags automatically.

    If the issue continues, try monitoring from Outlook on the web only for a short period after removing existing flags. This can help determine whether another connected client or service is reapplying the flags.

    I hope this helps narrow down the cause. If the behavior persists, please let me know whether you're using only Outlook or if the account is also connected to other email apps or services, and the community can help investigate further.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.