Hi Takami Chiro,
Based on what you've described, this does not immediately sound like a true orphaned checkpoint, because Get-VMSnapshot -VMName "MyServer" is still able to detect the checkpoint object. In a genuinely orphaned scenario, Hyper-V is often unable to see the checkpoint in the management layer even though AVHDX files remain on disk.
The fact that the AVHDX file timestamp continues to update while the parent VHDX remains at the checkpoint creation time is normal behavior when the VM is actively writing to the AVHDX differencing disk. In this situation, using Remove-VMCheckpoint is generally the supported method because Hyper-V will schedule a merge of the AVHDX chain back into the parent disk rather than deleting the files directly.
Before proceeding, I strongly recommend verifying that the VM is healthy, that you have a current backup, and that there are no storage-related warnings in the Hyper-V-VMMS or Hyper-V-Worker event logs. If Get-VMSnapshot returns the checkpoint and there are no signs of AVHDX chain corruption, the command:
Get-VMSnapshot -VMName "MyServer" | Remove-VMCheckpoint
After running the command, monitor the merge process carefully. Depending on disk size and I/O activity, the merge may continue in the background for some time, and the AVHDX file may remain present until the operation completes. I would strongly advise against manually deleting any AVHDX files from disk, as doing so can result in virtual disk corruption and potential data loss.
One additional concern is that you've now seen the same issue twice within three weeks on the same VM and host. Once this checkpoint is resolved, I would investigate backup software, replication tools, and Hyper-V event logs to determine why checkpoints are being left behind repeatedly, as that is often a symptom rather than the root cause.
I hope the response provided some helpful insight. If you find this answer useful, please hit “accept answer” so I know it addressed your concern.
Jason