BSOD after installation KB5122878 on Windows 10 ESU

UriF 1 Reputation point
2026-10-01T16:29:44.4766667+00:00

How to properly prevent forced reinstallation and block KB5122878?

I recently ran into a severe issue tied to the September Windows update, and I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced something similar or found a reliable block. Here is the exact sequence of what happened:

The Trigger: While updating an application, the system required a restart. When the computer came back up, the taskbar completely disappeared, requiring Ctrl+Alt+Del to force a reboot.

The First Crashes: Upon restarting, I encountered a blue screen (BSOD), but after an automatic restart, Windows booted and the taskbar returned.

Troubleshooting: Running SFC /scannow and DISM did not clear out the underlying issue. On the next normal restart (right after the Dell logo and the hourglass), the computer hit a double BSOD loop—crashing twice in a row before finally reaching the login window.

The In-Place Repair & Proof: To fix it, I performed an in-place upgrade repair, but explicitly excluded the September cumulative update. Once I did that, everything ran 100% smoothly without a single problem.

Confirming the Culprit: To test if the update was actually the cause, I tried installing the September cumulative update again. Sure enough, the crashes came right back—failing twice during the installation (once at 30% and again at 98%) before finally recovering to the desktop. Since bypassing that specific update keeps the system completely stable, it is clear there is a regression in the September package.

P.S. I've also submitted an official report through the Windows Feedback Hub regarding this regression.

P.P.S. I uninstalled the problematic package and dropped back to the August baseline. However, Windows forcefully reinstalled it. Furthermore, uninstalling it broke winget and drastically increased boot times (hanging at the Dell logo/hourglass stage with Event ID 100 errors).

P.P.P.S. Given this, I plan to repeat the in-place installation back to the August baseline, but I need a way to stop Windows Update from forcefully pulling it again immediately. Since standard registry tweaks or Group Policy controls for this specific bypass can be elusive on Windows 10 Pro, my current strategy is leveraging the 35-day update pause immediately upon reaching the desktop. Has anyone found a cleaner or more permanent method to block this specific package while keeping previous baselines intact?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Extended Security Update (ESU)

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Hendrix-V 19,485 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-02T07:20:09.7+00:00

    Hi UriF,

    Thank you for sharing that article. Since you've already confirmed that the system remains stable when KB5122878 is not installed and the crashes return after it is reinstalled, temporarily blocking that specific update can be a reasonable mitigation while you continue investigating the root cause.

    For a short-term approach, you can:

    • Uninstall KB5122878 if it is currently installed.
    • Use a Windows Update hide/block method (such as the PowerShell-based approach you found or Microsoft's update-hiding tools) to prevent the update from being automatically reinstalled.
    • Monitor future cumulative updates, as a newer update may eventually replace KB5122878.

    Disclaimer: Microsoft provides no assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for the information you receive from the third-party linked sites or any support related to technology.

    At the same time, I would recommend collecting the crash information from C:\Windows\Minidump and reviewing the corresponding Event Viewer entries. The dump files can help identify whether a specific driver, firmware component, or third-party software is triggering the BSODs after the update is applied.

    Blocking the update can help maintain system stability for now, but it is best treated as a temporary workaround rather than a permanent solution. If you gather crash dump data, please share the stop code or dump analysis results, as that may help narrow down the underlying cause.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.