Removing items from the ribbon in OneNote does not persist

JH 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T15:59:55.92+00:00

I go through the daily exercise of removing several items from my OneNote ribbon daily, sometimes several times daily. My changes do not persist upon closing and reopening the app.

I right-click and choose "Remove from Ribbon." Looks great, until I close the app.

User's image I have also tried to customize the ribbon and remove the offending items from there. You know what's worse that having something reappear? Having the things I want never leave in the first place, which is what happens when I close out of the customization window.

User's image

You know what's even worse than that? Removing the items using the first method, then performing the second method and having them come back. Like a cancer. Like the ghosts of Windows past are having a laugh. I want these gone, banished, excommunicated. I will never use them and they get in the way of my precious Styles options.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | Other | Windows
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Xavier-D 13,580 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-10-02T00:47:04.0533333+00:00

Hello JH,

I understand how frustrating it is to repeatedly remove these ribbon items only for them to return after OneNote is reopened.

Since Email, Send Page, Meeting Details, and Voice are built-in ribbon items, OneNote may not allow every individual command to be permanently removed. However, the entire built-in Email group should not immediately return after you remove it and save the customization.

As a workaround, please try switching the ribbon layout:

  1. Right-click an empty area of the ribbon.
  2. Select Use Classic Ribbon.
  3. Remove the Email group again through File > Options > Customize Ribbon.
  4. Select OK, close all OneNote windows, and reopen OneNote to check whether the change persists.

If it still returns, please provide the following information so we can determine whether this is specific to a particular OneNote build:

  • Open File > Account > About OneNote and share the full version and build number.
  • Confirm whether you are using a personal Microsoft account or a work/school account.
  • Confirm whether other customizations, such as adding an item to the Quick Access Toolbar, are also reset after restarting OneNote.

If the behavior continues in the latest version, please report it through File > Feedback in OneNote, because the application may not be saving the ribbon customization correctly.

Feel free reply back to this post and update me on this issue, I'll be happy to help.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.