I tried to upgrade to windows 11 Ver 26H2 but got message unable to update

Thomas Gottschalk 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T15:20:29.1666667+00:00

I am running Windows 11, version 25H2 (repair version) and tried to upgrade to the new windows 11 V26H2 via windows updates (appeared as available to update) but got a message unable to install try again. So I tried and quickly came back said completed but did not install and now its not showing up in my windows updates offerings and will not come back back if I run check for updates. Is there something wrong with the new update, or is there something wrong with my system?

Windows for home | Other | Windows update

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. David-M 127.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-01T15:57:26.34+00:00

    Hi. I'm David, and I'm happy to help you.


    Please look in the update history to see if an error code is reported or if it says that the update was installed successfully.

    • Press "Windows + I" and select "Windows Update > Update history".

    If you prefer, share a screenshot. Use the shortcut "Windows + Shift + S" to use the screenshot tool.


    Also. What is the current "OS Build" of your Windows 11?

    • Press "Windows + R", type winver, and click OK.

    If you prefer, share a screenshot.

    Be sure to censor your email address if it appears. The Microsoft Q&A is public.


    Looking forward to your reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.