Recent Outlook.com Account Cannot Send Email

Infi 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T14:56:14.5833333+00:00

I set up an Outlook.com account around two months ago and connected it to my Thunderbird email client. After enabling the 'Let devices and apps use IMAP' setting, and waiting a brief period (a day or two maybe) I could receive email. Unfortunately, sending email is another issue. I have checked all the settings (multiple times), deleted and recreated the Outlook account in Thunderbird but emails still refuse to send and I get an authentication error. I have not seen any messages saying my account is blocked, and I ran through Microsoft's troubleshooting wizard earlier, and it found no issues. The AI support assistant could also not come up with anything I have not tried already.

Here is my SMTP setup:
outlook-smtp

And here is the error I get when trying to send:

smtp-errorr-1

When I click 'Cancel' I get:

smtp-error-2

Messages are not in Drafts (don't get that far), or anywhere else. They simply refuse to send despite all settings being correct. Just for completeness, here are my IMAP settings:

imap

This address does not get a lot of mail, but I have sent (from Outlook.com) a few emails and have also received a few emails. For my send testing I have tried the Outlook.com address, a Gmail address and another independent address. All (unsurprisingly) fail with the same issue.

I use Thunderbird as my main email client and have multiple other addresses set up on it, and the Outlook address is the only one with any issues.

I'm stumped.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Email
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Lychee-Ng 28,915 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-02T10:07:02.8733333+00:00

    Thanks for sharing the screenshots, Infi.

    It seems like your configurations already match the suggested setup, so I don't think there's much I can add here. Just wondering, have you checked out this article from Thunderbird itself: Microsoft Oauth Authentication and Thunderbird in 2026? Because it documented an issue similar to what you're experiencing:

    User's image

    Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. Watch out for ads on the site, and thoroughly research any product advertised before you decide to download it. Microsoft makes no guarantees, implied or otherwise, about the information you receive from the third-party linked sites or any support related to technology. 

    Given that you're using a personal account, as well as already applied OAuth2 for SMTP authentication and smtp as the outgoing server, only some suggestions left. I recommend trying the following:

    • Update Thunderbird to the latest available release.
    • Check that Microsoft cookies are allowed in Thunderbird:
      • Open the burger menu > choose Settings > Privacy & Security.
      • Under Web Content, enable Accept cookies from sites.
      • Select Exceptions > Microsoft related domains are not blocked.
    • Sign into https://account.microsoft.com > open Security page:
      • Click Manage how I sign in > enable 2FA if it is not already enabled.
      • Click View my sign-in activity > find an entry around the failed Thunderbird.
      • If you offered an option like This was me... authorize connection > select it and approve.

    If the same SMTP authentication error remains after the steps above, I recommend following Mozilla's suggestions in the article and posting the issue on the Thunderbird support forum. Other than that, you can also reach out to Outlook support directly for manual investigation:

    • Open Help (?) from the top ribbon > enter keywords to your issue
    • Let it run then scroll to Still need help? and select Yes.

    When contacting support, clearly mention the information you shared above, so they can narrow down the issue quicklier and not repeating steps you've already done.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.