Issue with Office 2024 and Outlook 2016 Licensing

Dinesh 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T14:35:54.7266667+00:00

I purchased a Lenovo ThinkBook 16, which was delivered with Office 2024. Since Office 2024 does not include Outlook, I installed Office Home & Business 2016, which includes Outlook.

I am quite comfortable using Outlook 2016 from Office Home & Business, as I primarily use Outlook for personal purposes. I therefore installed Office Home & Business 2016 and successfully activated it using my product key.

Under the Product Information section in Office applications such as Word and Excel, there is a “Switch License” option. This allows me to switch back to Office 2024. However, as soon as I switch to Office 2024, Outlook 2016 becomes unlicensed and I am prompted to subscribe to Microsoft 365 instead of being able to continue using my activated Outlook 2016 license.

If I enter the Office Home & Business 2016 product key again, Outlook 2016 becomes activated and works normally. However, this means that I have to repeatedly enter my Office Home & Business 2016 product key whenever I want to use Outlook after switching to Office 2024.

How can I avoid having to enter the Office Home & Business 2016 product key repeatedly while continuing to use Office 2024 for applications such as Word and Excel and Outlook 2016 for email?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. EmilyS_726 30,260 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-01T15:10:02.64+00:00

    The requirement to enter the key for your 2016 Office is related to an active known issue right now, due to a recent update KB5002907

    Microsoft communicates it here, and you can also bookmark this page to check back for mitigation/fixes update.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/servicing/os/microsoft-365/kb5002907-optional-update-for-out-of-date-microsoft-365-apps-installations

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.