Hi @Megan F,
In the example workbook, the most reliable approach is to store the month headings as real dates and use SUMIFS to total columns H and I within each displayed date range.
- Make the month headings real dates
Instead of entering September as text in A32, enter:
9/1/2026
Then format A32 with the custom number format: mmmm
Do the same in A41 using 10/1/2026. The cells will still display September and October, but Excel will retain the month and year. This also avoids potential #VALUE! errors caused by dates stored as text.


- Formula for September
Enter this in B34, then fill it down through B37:
=SUMIFS($H$3:$H$1000,$G$3:$G$1000,">="&EOMONTH($A$32,-1)+CHOOSE(ROWS($B$34:B34),1,8,15,22),$G$3:$G$1000,"<"&IF(ROWS($B$34:B34)=4,EOMONTH($A$32,0)+1,EOMONTH($A$32,-1)+CHOOSE(ROWS($B$34:B34),8,15,22,29)))+SUMIFS($I$3:$I$1000,$G$3:$G$1000,">="&EOMONTH($A$32,-1)+CHOOSE(ROWS($B$34:B34),1,8,15,22),$G$3:$G$1000,"<"&IF(ROWS($B$34:B34)=4,EOMONTH($A$32,0)+1,EOMONTH($A$32,-1)+CHOOSE(ROWS($B$34:B34),8,15,22,29)))
- Formula for October
Enter this in B43, then fill it down through B46:
=SUMIFS($H$3:$H$1000,$G$3:$G$1000,">="&EOMONTH($A$41,-1)+CHOOSE(ROWS($B$43:B43),1,8,15,22),$G$3:$G$1000,"<"&IF(ROWS($B$43:B43)=4,EOMONTH($A$41,0)+1,EOMONTH($A$41,-1)+CHOOSE(ROWS($B$43:B43),8,15,22,29)))+SUMIFS($I$3:$I$1000,$G$3:$G$1000,">="&EOMONTH($A$41,-1)+CHOOSE(ROWS($B$43:B43),1,8,15,22),$G$3:$G$1000,"<"&IF(ROWS($B$43:B43)=4,EOMONTH($A$41,0)+1,EOMONTH($A$41,-1)+CHOOSE(ROWS($B$43:B43),8,15,22,29)))
The formula automatically calculates:
- 1st through 7th
- 8th through 14th
- 15th through 21st
- 22nd through the actual final day of the month
Based on the sample data, the September 22nd through month-end result should be-268,119.09, while the October 8th through 14th result should be 1,019,706.86.
Make sure the values in column G are genuine Excel dates, not text. Also, all SUMIFS ranges must have matching dimensions, such as rows 3 through 1000 for columns G, H, and I, because inconsistent range sizes can cause #VALUE!.
Thank you again for your time and understanding. I really appreciate your patience, and I’m here to help. Looking forward to your response.