Word Automation Multi page report based on a single template with bookmarks

Nigel Hall 5 Reputation points
2026-10-01T11:15:43.0766667+00:00

I have a single page template for producing a register of directors of a company. The template has several bookmarks for placing name, address, etc. If a company has more than one director I want to output each director on a separate page. At the end of the first page I insert a section break and insert a new template but the second director's details are added to the first page. Is there a way to force the data onto the second template? I've tried collapsing the data and selecting the last character of the active document before inserting the new template but to no avail. Any help appreciated.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Answer recommended by moderator
Nigel Hall 5 Reputation points
2026-10-06T08:57:00.4233333+00:00

Problem solved by deleting all bookmarks before inserting the second template. Thanks for the assistance.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Charles Kenyon 171.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-01T12:40:06.0966667+00:00

    Hello Nigel,

    While "template" has the meaning you are using in English, in Word jargon, it means a particular kind of file with a .dotx or .dotm filename extension. Here is my page on Templates in Microsoft Word. https://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm They are an incredibly powerful tool.

    However, I think you mean a pattern.

    I would suggest one of two methods.

    1. Mail Merge - either letter which gives a separate page for each or catalog/directory which can give a list, perhaps in a table. Keep your data about the directors in a separate file, usually Excel.
      https://support.office.com/en-us/article/mail-merge-using-an-excel-spreadsheet-858c7d7f-5cc0-4ba1-9a7b-0a948fa3d7d3
      https://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-merge/38721-microsoft-word-catalogue-directory-mailmerge-tutorial.html
    2. AutoText / Quick Parts - store your "template" as a Building Block, perhaps with Content Controls for the data.
      You could set the paragraph formatting for the first paragraph of the Building Block to have a page break before. This would put it on a new page.
      https://gregmaxey.com/word_tip_pages/building_blocks_autotext.html
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/create-reusable-text-snippets-0bc40cab-f49c-4e06-bcb2-cd43c1674d1b
      https://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/autotextautocorrect.htm#Saving_AutoText
      https://gregmaxey.com/word_tip_pages/content_controls.html

    You would want to use Content Controls rather than bookmarks because bookmark names must be unique in a document.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.