A Microsoft app for iOS and Android devices that enables authentication with two-factor verification, phone sign-in, and code generation
Repeated unexpected Microsoft Authenticator prompts usually mean someone is trying to sign in with the account and is reaching the verification step. It does not by itself mean the account has already been compromised, but it does mean the sign-in name is being targeted and the prompts must never be approved.
What to do:
- Keep denying unexpected prompts If a sign-in is not expected, select Deny. Fraudulent transactions and unauthorized access are blocked when the request is denied.
- Do not share verification codes Verification codes change every 30 seconds. They should never be read to anyone over a call or text. Microsoft specifically warns that attackers may pretend to be support or another trusted organization and ask for the code.
- Review recent sign-in activity
- For a work or school account: sign in to My Account and open Recent Activity from the left pane.
- In Microsoft Authenticator for a work or school account: open the account home page and select Recent account activity. If unfamiliar activity appears, change the password and update security settings.
- Change the password if there are suspicious sign-ins If sign-in history shows activity that was not authorized, change the password immediately. For work or school accounts, Microsoft recommends updating security settings from the Security info page as well.
- If this is a personal Microsoft account and the prompts keep coming, change the primary alias used for sign-in Accepted Microsoft Q&A guidance says persistent prompts can continue even after a password change because attackers may keep trying an exposed sign-in address. Changing the primary alias and disabling sign-in on the old alias can stop those repeated attempts while keeping the mailbox.
- If this is a work or school account, contact the IT admin if the issue continues If the prompts persist after reviewing activity and securing the account, the documented next step is to reach out to the IT admin or helpdesk.
About the random locations:
- Location can look strange or distant in sign-in records because IP-based location is approximate, especially on mobile networks.
- Also, Microsoft Entra documentation notes that anomalous sign-ins may not generate push notifications automatically; approval may require opening Authenticator and refreshing.
Bottom line:
- Unexpected prompts do not prove the password is compromised.
- They do mean the account is being targeted and the prompts should always be denied unless the sign-in was initiated intentionally.
- If suspicious activity is visible, change the password and review/update security info.
- For personal accounts with constant prompt spam, changing the primary sign-in alias is the strongest documented mitigation in the provided guidance.
- Authentication methods in Microsoft Entra ID - Microsoft Authenticator app
- Microsoft Authenticator FAQs
- View your work or school account sign-in activity from My Sign-ins
- View your work or school account sign-in activity from My Sign-ins
- Authenticator App Notifications - Microsoft Q&A I repeatedly get notifications as if someone is trying to log into my Microsoft account or possibly another account I use my 2FA for. It just asks me if I want to deny the log in or select a number to complete the sign. Obviously I deny it every time . I have changed my passwords multiple times and I still receive this. I have never had any issues with any of my accounts but this has been happening for almost a year now. What do I do? Should I be worried?
- Malicious Sign-in requests on Authenticator - Microsoft Q&A I keep receiving malicious sign-in requests on my Authenticator from random places across the world - Germany, Venezuela, Mauritius, etc,.
- Microsoft Authenticator keeps sending log in requests when I'm not trying to log in. - Microsoft Q&A Microsoft Authenticator keeps sending log in requests when I'm not trying to log in. When I check the recent log in attempts it doesn't show the attempts that I deny.