Something went wrong when trying change a member to an owner in a Microsoft 365 group

Jonathan Ridgway 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T03:51:06.8833333+00:00

I am the owner of a group, and am trying to add a member as an additional owner. I've tried two methods. In Manage Groups, under 'Owners' tab, I have clicked on the Add button. It says 'Something went wrong'. Under the Members tab, I've clicked on the 'Convert to Owner' button, and it says 'Something went wrong'.

It is a group I set up through the non-profit page. I'm wondering if owners have to have an 'onmicrosoft' email to be an owner? Otherwise I'm out of guesses. Please help.


Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint | Other | MacOS

Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint | For business | MacOS
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jade Ng 15,860 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-01T05:36:48.39+00:00

    Dear Jonathan Ridgway,

    To better understand the issue, could you please provide a little more detail about the exact steps you are taking when you try to add or convert the member to an owner? In particular, please let me know where you are managing the group, for example, from the Microsoft 365 admin center, SharePoint admin center? Please take a screenshot showing the error then share it with me.

    As an additional test, could you please try changing the member to an owner directly from the Microsoft 365 admin center, as shown in my screenshot?

    Untitled

    1. Open the Microsoft 365 admin center.
    2. Select Teams & groups > Active teams & groups.
    3. Select the affected Microsoft 365 group.
    4. Open the Membership tab.
    5. Select Members.
    6. Select the member you would like to promote.
    7. Select Make owner.

    Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding. Thank you very much for your valuable time and your cooperation.

    Looking forward to your response!

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.