Conducting account recovery with Microsoft Account Safety Team

alternateaccountforsinkypoo 20 Reputation points
2026-09-30T21:18:13.6066667+00:00

This past month I attempted to recover my Microsoft account which was taken over and had the emails changed. I was emailed by the Microsoft Account Safety Team and to the best of my ability I followed the instructions I was given. I am confused however as about 14 days later I received an email back stating that the recover attempt would be closed as they had reached out 3 times without a response. I only received the email from when I initiated the recovery and another email for a confirmation when I was filling out a form. When it was still open, I was confused as how I would give certain information that wasn't included on the Account Recovery Form. I didn't think they would want me to email the Microsoft Account Safety Team email directly so I didn't and I just waited. I'm thinking now that was a mistake, but before I try again, I would like to better know how to work with the Microsoft Account Safety Team. Of most importance, how to give them the information they asked for outside of the Account Recovery Form.

I would give my thanks for any help possible :)

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Ian-T 13,280 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-10-01T03:48:50.93+00:00

Hi @alternateaccountforsinkypoo

Since the Microsoft Account Safety Team was already handling your recovery case, you should reply directly to the most recent genuine case email if it allows replies, keeping the original subject line and case/reference number. Provide only the information they specifically requested. Do not send your password, verification codes, recovery codes, or complete payment-card details.

Also check your Junk/Spam folder and search your mailbox for the case number, as their follow-up messages may have been filtered. Microsoft recommends using an accessible alternate email address for recovery communications and checking its Junk/Spam folders.

If the case has already been closed and your reply is not accepted, start again through the Microsoft Sign-in Helper or Microsoft Support. In the new request, mention that the previous case was closed because the follow-up emails were not received and include the old case number if available

Please note that this is a user-to-user support forum. Moderators and contributors cannot access accounts or Microsoft’s back-end systems. We can only provide technical guidance on reported incidents, requests and ideas 

Thank you for your understanding and time

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.