Disappearing diacritics

joe lewis 45 Reputation points
2026-09-30T19:55:14.5733333+00:00

Aargh! I have file with lots of Hebrew with vowels and cantillation points. I opened it yesterday and the diacritics for Myriad Hebrew Light did not display. If I change the color of diacritics to green, the Myriad diacritics appear black while the Narkisim diacritics appear green. I know the diacritics are present because I can "see" them when I cursor through the text. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for help.

Diacritics set to automatic

User's image

Diacritics set to Green

User's image

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | Other | Windows
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. joe lewis 45 Reputation points
    2026-10-01T15:20:01.56+00:00

    Thanks for that detailed reply. I'm working through the steps. However, I found this information, which makes me think that after several years of using MyriadHebrew I now need a .ttf file instead of the .otf file I bought from Monotype a couple of days ago, but I bought it after my problems appeared in the hope that a properly purchased version freshly installed would display correctly. Meanwhile I'm looking at other fonts such as Segoe UI to replace Myriad Hebrew Light.

    User's image

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. joe lewis 45 Reputation points
    2026-10-01T22:25:35.3633333+00:00

    Well, I found out another aspect of this problem. Myriad Hebrew Light characters do not appear under certain circumstances. Hebrew consonants appear, but not vowels. English words typically disappear. I can "fix" this by changing the Myriad font color (to dark blue). I can't use black.

    I'm using Office 365 with Windows 11. I downloaded and installed the font, an otf file (some say Windows works more reliably with ttf files, but I've never had this problem in years of using Myriad Hebrew Light.

    Something similar happened a few weeks ago when some words in Ezra SIL SR "disappeared"; I fixed this (I believe) by reinstalling the font.

    Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Xavier-D 13,745 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-01T00:41:23.3766667+00:00

    Hello joe lewis

    Thank you for explaining the behavior.

    Since you can still reach the diacritics with the cursor, they do not appear to have been removed from the document. The fact that they display and change color correctly with Narkisim, but remain invisible or black with Myriad Hebrew Light, suggests that this may be a font-specific display or rendering problem in Word.

    As an initial test, please try the following:

    1. Save a backup copy of the document.
    2. Select a short affected passage and apply Narkisim or another Hebrew font that displays the vowels and cantillation marks correctly.
    3. Change the document zoom level, for example to 100% and then 200%, and check whether the marks become visible with Myriad Hebrew Light.
    4. Create a new blank Word document and paste a small affected passage into it using Keep Text Only, then apply Myriad Hebrew Light again.

    For now, using Narkisim or another Hebrew font that displays the marks correctly would be the safest workaround, particularly before printing or exporting the document.

    To narrow down whether this is a recent Word update issue, a damaged document, or the installed font itself, could you also provide:

    • Your Word version and build from File > Account > About Word
    • Your Windows version
    • Whether Myriad Hebrew Light previously displayed the marks correctly on this same computer
    • Whether the diacritics appear in Print Preview or in an exported PDF
    • Whether the same problem occurs in a newly created document

    Please do not reinstall or replace the font until you have preserved a backup of the document and, if applicable, the font installer.

    Feel free reply back to this post if you need further assistance, I'll be happy to help.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.