What do WHEA-Logger Event ID 17 values 0x100000 and 0xa000 mean?

Dalbir Rana 0 Reputation points
2026-09-30T13:23:10.3033333+00:00

I am seeing repeated WHEA-Logger Event ID 17 warnings on a fresh Windows 11 installation. My older machine did not used to report this at all, I have also check with family friends machines they do not see this either.

The events include:

UncorrectableErrorStatus = 0x100000
CorrectableErrorStatus   = 0xa000

From the PCIe status definitions I understand these correspond to:

0x100000 = Unsupported Request
0xa000   = Advisory Non-Fatal + Header Log Overflow

My questions are:

  1. What does this combination mean from the Windows/WHEA point of view?
  2. Is this considered an expected/benign corrected hardware event, or does it indicate a hardware/firmware/driver problem?
  3. Why would Windows log this as WHEA Event 17?
  4. Why might the same type of event appear on a newer system when my previous PC did not log these warnings?
  5. Is there any Microsoft-supported way to determine what request triggered the Event 17 entry?

The system is otherwise booting and operating normally, so I am mainly trying to understand the meaning and reliability implications of the WHEA-17 events rather than suppressing them.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. David-M 127.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-30T14:01:26.37+00:00

    Hi. I'm David, and I'm happy to help you.


    Don't worry. If your PC is running well, without freezes or blue screens, your hardware is not malfunctioning.

    To see which specific part of your PC is generating these warnings, please export and share the log:

    1. Press Windows + X and select Event Viewer;
    2. Expand Windows Logs and select System;
    3. In the Actions panel on the right, select Filter Current Log;
    4. In Event level, check the boxes Critical, Warning, and Error and click on Ok;
    5. Again, in the Actions panel, select Save Filtered Log File As and save in an easily accessible place.

    Then, upload the file to the cloud (OneDrive), choose to share it, and get the link.

    Post the link to the file here so I can have a look.


    Looking forward to your reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Engla Wahlberg Burlin 80 Reputation points
    2026-09-30T13:35:08.5333333+00:00

    If the system is stable, I would focus on BIOS/UEFI, chipset, and device firmware updates first. Corrected PCIe AER events are often associated with firmware, compatibility, or link-management behavior rather than imminent hardware failure.

    I am not aware of a Microsoft-supported method that can reliably reconstruct the original PCIe transaction that triggered a specific Event 17 entry. For that level of analysis, vendor-specific diagnostic tooling is typically required rather than Windows Event Viewer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  3. Engla Wahlberg Burlin 80 Reputation points
    2026-10-06T06:15:58.7466667+00:00

    I would not ignore the WHEA-17 events. My recommendation would be to identify the PCIe device reported in the event, compare the event timestamps with the freezes, and provide those details to the manufacturer for further investigation.

    Even if the system appears stable now, repeated Event 17 entries are useful diagnostic information and should be considered alongside the freezing issue rather than evaluated in isolation.

    Windows can identify the reporting device, but there is no Microsoft-supported method to reliably determine the exact PCIe request that originally triggered a specific Event 17 entry.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.