Word automatically change my font

Quỳnh Nguyễn 20 Reputation points
2026-09-30T12:07:21.6766667+00:00

Whenever I type Vietnamese, the font just automatically switch from Times New Roman to Calibri. I tried changing the default font to Times New Roman too but it didn't work. I also looked through multiple settings but I just can't find anything that seems wrong. I'm using a laptop I bought in Japan so it also has Japanese keyboard, but I don't know whether that has anything to do with this problem. Please help TT

Sincerely, I am in tears.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For education | Windows
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
John Korchok 236.4K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2026-09-30T18:17:23.7833333+00:00

When you switch to Vietnamese, Word switches your font theme from Latin text settings to East Asian.

With your document open, choose Design>Fonts>Customize Fonts. For both Latin text and East Asian text, set the Heading font and Body font to Times New Roman.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.

Answer accepted by question author
Aetherin 2,495 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-09-30T12:31:50.5933333+00:00

Hi @Quỳnh Nguyễn,

To narrow this down, does the font change in a new blank document as well, and does it happen with every character or only Vietnamese characters with diacritics? Also, are you typing with the Windows Vietnamese keyboard, UniKey, or the Japanese IME?

First, go to File > Options > Language and make sure Vietnamese is added under Office authoring languages and proofing. Then open a blank document and go to Review > Language > Set Proofing Language, select Vietnamese, and temporarily clear Detect language automatically. Word’s proofing language can follow the active Windows keyboard language.

User's image User's image User's image

If the issue continues, go to Home > Styles, right-click Normal > Modify, select Times New Roman, choose New documents based on this template, and click OK. Then close Word completely, reopen it, and create a new blank document to test the font.

User's image User's image

Please give these steps a try, and if you notice any changes or have any updates, feel free to leave a reply and let me know the results. I'll be happy to continue assisting you and follow up further if needed.

Thank you for taking the time.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.

Answer recommended by moderator
Quỳnh Nguyễn 20 Reputation points
2026-10-02T09:55:50.72+00:00

Hi @Aetherin ,
About your questions, yes it does change in every new document and it happens specifically to the letters u and o with diacritics. I'm typing with the Japanese IME setting but accompany it with UNIKEY too.

I've already managed to fix it by installing the Window Vietnamese keyboard, which I didn't think was necessary at first so I didn't install it sooner. But still, I really appreciate your dedication in helping me, it was really heart warming. Also about the last step (the modify styles one), I've tried that before uploading my question here and it didn't work, so I hope that my experience can help you with something.

Once again, thank you alot :)

Sincerely, not in tears anymore.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

0 additional answers

Sort by: Newest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.