cant hear my headset mic in my own speakers

Beej Manning 20 Reputation points
2026-09-29T14:33:50.1366667+00:00

Hi there,

I know my new mic is working but I cannot hear my own voice in my speakers.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
David-M 127.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-09-29T15:14:47.8266667+00:00

Hi. I'm David, and I'm happy to help you.


The feature to listen to the microphone through your speakers is not enabled by default in Windows. See the steps below to enable it.

  1. Press "Windows + R", type mmsys.cpl and press Enter;
  2. Select the "Recording" tab;
  3. Right-click on the microphone and select "Properties";
  4. Select the "Listen" tab;
  5. Check the box "Listen to this device";
  6. Under "Playback through this device", select "Default Playback Device" (or choose your speakers directly);

Note: If you are using open desktop speakers instead of headphones, lower the volume slightly first to avoid audio feedback/echo.

  1. Click "Apply" and then "OK".

See if you can hear your microphone through the selected output device.


If that doesn't work, please share a screenshot of the properties window so I can check the settings. Use the shortcut "Windows + Shift + S" to use the screenshot tool.


If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.