September 12th
Hello, I am experiencing random crashes/reboots on my ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 GA402RJ (Ryzen 7 6800HS + RX 6700S, Windows 11).
Main issue:
Crashes only happen on battery power.
No crashes have occurred while plugged in (tested for ~3 weeks).
Usually happens a few minutes after:
Cold boot on battery
Opening from hibernation/lid close
Sometimes while idle with WiFi connected
Errors observed:
BugCheck 1001:
CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (0x101)
Related drivers mentioned: `dxgmms2.sys`
WHEA-Logger Event ID 1
Kernel-Power Event ID 41
volmgr Event ID 161/162
Kernel-PnP Event ID 219 (`WUDFRd`, Windows Hello driver)
Startup BSODs:
SYSTEM_THREAD_NOT_HANDLED
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Troubleshooting performed:
Replaced battery (issue remained)
Updated AMD chipset driver (including power management fixes)
Updated GPU drivers from ASUS support
Disabled Hyper-V
Tested CPU minimum processor state:
100%
99%
80% (crashes still occurred)
Reset Windows power plans:
```yaml
powercfg -restoredefaultschemes
powercfg /h off powercfg /h on ```
Reseated internal components after battery replacement
Considered Windows reset/cloud recovery but not performed
Current suspicion: The issue seems related to battery power management/power state transitions because:
It never happens on AC power
It happens during idle/light usage on battery
Dumps show involvement of AMD power management/ACPI components (amdppm.sys, AmdMicroPEP.sys, ACPI.sys, pci.sys)
I would like assistance identifying whether this is a firmware/BIOS, driver, battery, motherboard power management, or Windows issue. Hello, I am experiencing random crashes/reboots on my ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 GA402RJ (Ryzen 7 6800HS + RX 6700S, Windows 11).
Main issue:
Crashes only happen on battery power.
No crashes have occurred while plugged in (tested for ~3 weeks).
Usually happens a few minutes after:
Cold boot on battery
Opening from hibernation/lid close
Sometimes while idle with WiFi connected
Errors observed:
BugCheck 1001:
CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (0x101)
Related drivers mentioned: `dxgmms2.sys`
WHEA-Logger Event ID 1
Kernel-Power Event ID 41
volmgr Event ID 161/162
Kernel-PnP Event ID 219 (`WUDFRd`, Windows Hello driver)
Startup BSODs:
SYSTEM_THREAD_NOT_HANDLED
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Troubleshooting performed:
Replaced battery (issue remained)
Updated AMD chipset driver (including power management fixes)
Updated GPU drivers from ASUS support
Disabled Hyper-V
Tested CPU minimum processor state:
100%
99%
80%
(crashes still occurred)
Reset Windows power plans:
```yaml
powercfg -restoredefaultschemes
powercfg /h off powercfg /h on ```
Reseated internal components after battery replacement
Considered Windows reset/cloud recovery but not performed
Current suspicion: The issue seems related to battery power management/power state transitions because:
It never happens on AC power
It happens during idle/light usage on battery
Dumps show involvement of AMD power management/ACPI components (amdppm.sys, AmdMicroPEP.sys, ACPI.sys, pci.sys)
I would like assistance identifying whether this is a firmware/BIOS, driver, battery, motherboard power management, or Windows issue.
SEPTEMBER 29th
RELEVANT UPDATE: I had assistance and was able to get the device stable on battery for 2 weeks from september 12 to 28 by turning off PCIe LPSM on battery.
The device had been working perfectly for several weeks, and I used it normally without changing or tweaking any settings. Reliability Monitor also showed no critical issues during that period.
Recently, however, the problems gradually returned:
I used a restore point, but the restoration was incomplete and some applications subsequently failed to open due to missing files.
Windows Search then stopped displaying any results.
The laptop began occasionally failing to shut down/start normally, instead entering Startup Repair before eventually booting successfully.
Since then, I have experienced multiple crashes, particularly while the laptop is running on battery.
These crashes only started yesterday; before that, the laptop had been functioning normally.
The only troubleshooting I performed was running SFC /scannow and DISM /RestoreHealth. During one DISM operation, the progress appeared to freeze, so I eventually hibernated the laptop and continued using it before later shutting it down while DISM was still incomplete.
I have also collected the minidump files from the recent crashes and can provide the compressed file for analysis.
I would really appreciate any help identifying what may be causing the instability.
DUMP FILES: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cJvVGq79kkQvZvBodfBduBwZIYqF8_4S/view?usp=sharing