Networks display "No Internet, Secured" on Windows 10 despite internet working for non-Microsoft programs such as browsers, but fails for Microsoft Programs

Francis Hirst 0 Reputation points
2026-09-29T12:09:36.09+00:00

My PC will connect to networks, but display "No Internet, Secured" underneath the name of the network. Despite this, other programs such as browsers, Steam, Discord, and online game functionality still work. However, some important features do not work: I cannot sign in to Microsoft 365 apps, nor can I sign into the Minecraft Launcher.

In terms of troubleshooting. I have tested my home wifi and the hotspot from my phone, and it is the exact same result for both of them. No other device on these networks is experiencing a problem, Windows or otherwise. I have also tested a wired ethernet connection, and that is the exact same result.

I have properly reset the router. I have tried plugging in to the network via ethernet. I have tried re-installing the drivers for my wifi network card. I have ran the network troubleshooter, and restarted the network services as it suggested. I have installed no VPNs, anti-virus, firewall or any other 3rd party software recently or ever that would cause this issue. I even had to fully reset my computer & reinstall windows for a separate issue, and that didn't fix it.

I have also done everything found in this thread, including the advice listed in the threads linked in the question, but none of it has worked.

I asked a similar question a while ago in this thread, but did not resolve it.

I would appreciate the help with this.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Levi Cornwell 255 Reputation points
    2026-10-02T15:10:18.6733333+00:00

    Since the same behavior happens on Wi-Fi, phone hotspot, and Ethernet, while browsers and other programs still have internet access, I’d focus less on the network adapter/router and more on Windows’ connectivity detection and Microsoft endpoints.

    Windows uses NCSI to determine whether it has internet access. It specifically probes www.msftconnecttest.com/connecttest.txt and dns.msftncsi.com. If those probes fail, Windows can show “No Internet” even though normal browsing still works. Microsoft also notes that NCSI status is used by some Microsoft components and apps. (learn.microsoft.com)

    A couple of things I’d check:

    1. Run Get-NetConnectionProfile in PowerShell and see whether IPv4Connectivity/IPv6Connectivity shows Internet.
    2. In a browser, open http://www.msftconnecttest.com/connecttest.txt. It should return Microsoft Connect Test.
    3. Check Event Viewer > Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > NCSI > Operational for failed probe events.
    4. Check that NCSI active probing is enabled under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet, particularly EnableActiveProbing=1. I would not disable NCSI probing as a workaround. (learn.microsoft.com)

    Because Microsoft 365 and Minecraft are also failing, I’d be especially interested in the NCSI events and whether the msftconnecttest.com probe works. That may give a better clue than doing another network reset.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Hendrix-V 19,470 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-30T04:09:50.6066667+00:00

    Hi Francis Hirst,

    Thank you for providing the detailed troubleshooting history. Since the issue occurs across Wi‑Fi, Ethernet, and mobile hotspot connections, and even persisted after reinstalling Windows, the underlying cause may be related to how Windows validates connectivity to Microsoft services rather than the network connection itself.

    One area that may be worth checking is whether Windows can reach Microsoft's connectivity test endpoints:

    1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
    2. Run: nslookup www.msftconnecttest.com
    3. Then open: https://www.msftconnecttest.com/connecttest.txt in a browser and confirm the page loads successfully.

    You can also review the Event Viewer for networking or authentication-related errors:

    1. Press Win + R, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter.
    2. Navigate to: Windows Logs > System > Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows
    3. Look for warnings or errors occurring when Microsoft 365 or Minecraft sign-in attempts fail.

    If available, please share any specific error codes from Microsoft 365, the Minecraft Launcher, or relevant Event Viewer entries. Those details may help narrow down whether the issue is related to network connectivity detection, authentication, or a Windows component involved in Microsoft sign-in services.

    I know you've already invested considerable time trying to resolve this. Hopefully, the additional diagnostic information can help identify what is preventing these Microsoft services from recognizing the connection correctly.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.